pcm files question

Plasmacam software related questions and tips can be posted here
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

pcm files question

Post by robertspark »

just wondering.... if one has a pcm file can you open it with any version of plasmacam..... or are they version specific.... ie the current pcm version cannot be opened on a version 4 dhc / 3.11🤔

also if one opens a pcm file in an older version of plasmacam like 3.1.... can it be resaved as a DXF?

I have come across an older version of plasmacam and man it looks clunky ... but I did wonder if it had a purpose in converting files (not that I have any pcm files but there are a few on this forum)
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: pcm files question

Post by rdj357 »

There are a couple breaks in backward compatibility. The current version will always open any PCM file. Older versions run into issues.

I *think* Version 1.xx-3.xx can open only those 3.11 and older files. There may be an issue opening 3.xx files with the old 98-Z software (1.02) but I'm not sure.

DesignEdge is 4.xx but there is a break in backward compatibility that occurred when Westcott and others started stealing software and PlasmaCAM cracked down on the pirating. I believe that happened around 4.38 so that a file saved as a PCM by 4.38 could not be opened in 4.37, giving the error that it was a newer version. The 4.37 or older user would then be motivated to download and install the free update which included additional features to prevent the ongoing theft. 4.38 and newer users who own Advanced Design could still export the file as a 1.xx-3.xx PCM which could be opened by any older version user but without the upgrade there was now a gap in forward compatibility.

So to answer your question, to the best of my knowledge -
A licensed user of 3.11 can open any version 3.11 or older PCM and export it as a DXF.
A licensed user of 4.37 can open any PCM created by 4.37 or earlier and export it as a DXF if they own Advanced Design.
A licensed user of 4.38 or newer can open any PCM and export it as a DXF as long as they own Advanced Design.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

thanks Robert, much appreciated for the insight
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

No problem, any time!