Newbie here and contemplating a DIY Table

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie here and contemplating a DIY Table

Post by jeff76 »

I have been thinking more and more about how handy a CNC table could be for me. I am just a hobbyist but do take on some decent sized projects from time to time. I am not sure I can justify the expense of a new factory table so have been contemplating the possibility of making one. I am pretty confident that I can handle the build part, but the computer and software end make me a little nervous. Computers are not my area of expertise for sure lol. I am completely new to CNC and basically know nothing about it- I typically have done everything old school ways up till now. I welcome any advice. I know with the few factory tables that I have been around that you can do many basic shapes without loading an actual drawing, such as cutting out a circle or triangle or something. Would this be something that could also be done on a DIY table?
I also was wondering if the member here going by acourtjester still offers plans and if those plans include all the info. as to the electrical and software end? I am still in the contemplating stage at this point and have not committed to this at this time. Still researching and trying to decide if this is something that I should undertake. Also wondering what to expect as a total cost to build a table (thinking either 4 x 4 or 4 x 8).

Thanks,
Jeff
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Newbie here and contemplating a DIY Table

Post by acourtjester »

Well Jeff I have built 10 table from scratch I don't sell the plans anymore but will give them to you for free. I can send the via the Google driver to your computer, you can send me a PM from here ( do not post your email in an open post). I have used different electronics and software to gain experiences along the way. I knew nothing about CAD or CAM when I started about 10 year ago. There are many DIY types here and will help answer question to help you get started. A CNC table is a great addition to your shop, it will expand your project list, some fun others very useful.
Have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeff76 »

That is a very generous offer. PM incoming.

Jeff
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Tom has a lot of experience. Very generous of him to provide his plans. Check them out and you may also want to consider buying an electronics package from C&CNC, Centroid, Flashcut, etc Buying the electronics package will really simplify the portion of the project you least experienced in and you can focus on your table build.
jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeff76 »

weldguy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:51 am Tom has a lot of experience. Very generous of him to provide his plans. Check them out and you may also want to consider buying an electronics package from C&CNC, Centroid, Flashcut, etc Buying the electronics package will really simplify the portion of the project you least experienced in and you can focus on your table build.
Thanks for dropping the names of some electronics suppliers. I had seen the C&CNC advertised here but didnt know about the other two you mentioned. I will be checking them out. Looks like I have lots of research to do. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of these places dont list any prices :-( and that always makes me nervous lol. Being more of a hobbyist and not using this everyday price does matter for me unfortunately lol.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Welcome. I also built my own table using the old rail style PPLC gantry kit. I use CandCNC Command CNC. Like all others there is a continuous learning curve.
T.J.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

One of the most cost effective choice is LinuxCNC, the software is free and the controller electronics is about $250. Plus the motors/drivers and power supplies. The GUI QTPlasmaC has many optional functions that make it a first class selection.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click
and
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

It gives you a good feeling when you can say "I Built That"

IMG_20211205_124751236.jpg
IMG_20211205_124837292.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeff76 »

TJS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:09 am Welcome. I also built my own table using the old rail style PPLC gantry kit. I use CandCNC Command CNC. Like all others there is a continuous learning curve.
T.J.
Nice work. I have seen several people mention those gantry kits from precision plasma but whenever I looked I couldnt find any for sale. Are they still selling those?
jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeff76 »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 am One of the most cost effective choice is LinuxCNC, the software is free and the controller electronics is about $250. Plus the motors/drivers and power supplies. The GUI QTPlasmaC has many optional functions that make it a first class selection.
and
Where would one purchase the controller electronics that you referred to from?
jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeff76 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:36 pm It gives you a good feeling when you can say "I Built That"

IMG_20211205_124751236.jpg

IMG_20211205_124837292.jpg
Nice machine! Definitely the most colorful one I have seen.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here are the cards they offer but is out of stock now (7I96 I used the 7I76E)
https://store.mesanet.com/index.php?rou ... uct_id=311
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

jeff76 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm Thanks for dropping the names of some electronics suppliers. I had seen the C&CNC advertised here but didnt know about the other two you mentioned. I will be checking them out. Looks like I have lots of research to do. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of these places dont list any prices :-( and that always makes me nervous lol. Being more of a hobbyist and not using this everyday price does matter for me unfortunately lol.
The Centroid Acorn has interested me mainly due to the low cost and it gets some great reviews from others here but i have no experience with them. Prices are on the site which is nice https://shopcentroidcnc.com/acorn-cnc-controller/ If I were build a new table i would give it a try.
jeff76
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jeff76 »

weldguy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm
jeff76 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm Thanks for dropping the names of some electronics suppliers. I had seen the C&CNC advertised here but didnt know about the other two you mentioned. I will be checking them out. Looks like I have lots of research to do. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of these places dont list any prices :-( and that always makes me nervous lol. Being more of a hobbyist and not using this everyday price does matter for me unfortunately lol.
The Centroid Acorn has interested me mainly due to the low cost and it gets some great reviews from others here but i have no experience with them. Prices are on the site which is nice https://shopcentroidcnc.com/acorn-cnc-controller/ If I were build a new table i would give it a try.
thanks- Ill check it out
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

To rich for my blood and no talk about Plasma or THC, you may look at MyPlasma works for plasma and has THC. Some members here have use it, maybe a user will post their experiences with Myplasma. I know there is a YouTube guy who seems to like his in a commercial setting.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
TJS

Post by TJS »

jeff76 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:18 pm
TJS wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:09 am Welcome. I also built my own table using the old rail style PPLC gantry kit. I use CandCNC Command CNC. Like all others there is a continuous learning curve.
T.J.
Nice work. I have seen several people mention those gantry kits from precision plasma but whenever I looked I couldnt find any for sale. Are they still selling those?
No they are not. I am sure there are other rail kits out there if that is the route you want to go.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”