New guy from PA

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Popgadget
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

New guy from PA

Post by Popgadget »

Not new to Plasma cutting, or metal work in general, but total newby to CNC plasma cutting.

Just setup a Langmuir Crossfire XL with Z axis and THC. Using a Primeweld Cut 60 and UPM105 machine torch. So far very pleased with the results.
Doing the drawings and CAM with Fusion 360, so far everything is working well, but I haven’t cut any thicker than 3/8” or thinner than 20ga.

Realistically, what is the thickest material that I can expect to cut with this setup? I’m sure that I’ll have a ton of questions down the road, as I acquire some experience with this setup.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New guy from PA

Post by adbuch »

Popgadget wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:29 pm Not new to Plasma cutting, or metal work in general, but total newby to CNC plasma cutting.

Just setup a Langmuir Crossfire XL with Z axis and THC. Using a Primeweld Cut 60 and UPM105 machine torch. So far very pleased with the results.
Doing the drawings and CAM with Fusion 360, so far everything is working well, but I haven’t cut any thicker than 3/8” or thinner than 20ga.

Realistically, what is the thickest material that I can expect to cut with this setup? I’m sure that I’ll have a ton of questions down the road, as I acquire some experience with this setup.
The thickest material you can cut will depend on your particular plasma cutter. I would expect that the owner's manual for your Primeweld Cut 60 would have that information. Good luck!

David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It would be helpful if the Primeweld manual has a chart for you to follow pertaining to CNC plasma cutting. If not I would download a copy of the Hypertherm 65 manual and check out the cut charts there for a starting point. You will need to pay attention to the speeds selection for the thickness of each metal. Then do some test cutting to fine tune our operation, as there are differences due to torch design, THC electronics, power output of the unit. With thicker metal you may need to look at edge starting over pierce and cut.
hypertherm cut chart.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Popgadget
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Popgadget »

The Primeweld claims up to 7/8'', but their cutting chart only goes to 3/4", so i was wondering what people have done in the real world. The Primeweld chart does give amperage, air pressure and speeds for each thickness, so far those settings have given me very clean cuts, but i havent cut anything thicker than 3/8".
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Welcome Popgadget. You may struggle with cutting thicker than 1/2" with good results with your Primeweld unit but it doesn't sound like you will be doing a lot of thick plate cutting anyway. Glad to hear your are seeing good results so far, if you have pics of the pieces your cutting post them if you get a chance.
Popgadget
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Popgadget »

Thank you for the reply, I’ve got some 5/8” parts that I would like to cut, that why I was asking.
Here is a couple of 3/8” parts as well as a piece of 20 ga.
IMG_4153.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

These look like very nice cuts to me. I think your settings are dialed in pretty well.
David
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

I would agree with David, your cuts look very good, your doing really well.
Popgadget
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Popgadget »

Thank you. As I said, I’m new to CNC plasma cutting, but not new to metal working. I got my first OA torch over 60 years ago.
My biggest challenge is understanding Fusion.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Popgadget wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:59 pm Thank you. As I said, I’m new to CNC plasma cutting, but not new to metal working. I got my first OA torch over 60 years ago.
My biggest challenge is understanding Fusion.
If you are using Fusion 360 for your cad/cam and cut paths, then I would say you have a pretty good basic understanding.
Langmuir has some pretty good tutorials - in case you haven't seen them.

David
Popgadget
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Popgadget »

Yes, I am making the drawings in Fusion, and then using the CAM functions for the cut paths and generating the G code.
Its more of a struggle with the sketch portion, as its all new to me.
I am reasonably fluent in Corel Draw, but am trying to stay in Fusion rather than importing DXF from Corel.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

It's great that your fluent in Corel Draw. I find Fusion very cumbersome for artistic designs but amazing for mechanical designs so I use both and do all my artistic stuff in Corel and mechanical in Fusion. Look forward to seeing more of your plasma work.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”