Plasma cuts angular even with brand new consumables

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Plasma cuts angular even with brand new consumables

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Hello people,

I need some help to figure out why my plasma cuts angular even with brand new consumables. The very first cut instantly is angled on one side by far. I use the proper nozzles for the amperage for my cutter, and I also have an outer shield to protect the nozzle from blow back. On smaller amperage and thinner metal its even worse. I cant even get the machine to cut 3mm mild steel with 2000mm/min on 50 amps and i used to do the same with 4500mm/min.
Any idea what might be causing this? Something with the air flow inside the torch?!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Plasma cuts angular even with brand new consumables

Post by acourtjester »

What brand are you using. are you using a machine torch or hand held type. If you cut a square is it angled on one axis direction. The torch must be perpendicular to the metal surface in both directions. The Plasma stream is like an upside down candle flame, so the distance from the metal can have an effect on angular cutting. You want to be about 1.5MM above the metal surface while cutting
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Mr. Jester, I am using Cebora plasma with Trafimet CB150 Machine Torch. I am telling you it straight damages the new nozzle(blows it wider on one side). Its not a height problem since im using THC, and im piercing on a proper height. What could cause this?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I not sure about that torch but the Hypertherm has an internal "O" ring that if it leaks will cause angular cutting problems.
If you mean the air stream is not straight down (damages the new nozzle(blows it wider on one side), that is not good.
So you understand using a THC is not a guarantee it is cutting at the correct height, it only follows what voltage it is told. Here is a video showing how to check for the correct voltage to use. It is for different THC brand but will get you there for yours, if yours has a read out for the voltage. It does change for each metal thickness.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

nikolakuzzz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:35 pm Mr. Jester, I am using Cebora plasma with Trafimet CB150 Machine Torch. I am telling you it straight damages the new nozzle(blows it wider on one side). Its not a height problem since im using THC, and im piercing on a proper height. What could cause this?
My guess is that you have moisture and/or oil contamination in your air supply. This can cause damage to a new nozzle/tip before the arc even pierces the material.

This is a very common issue, particularly for folks that are using a very small compressor and/or inadequate filtration. Those filters they sell at Home Depot in the tools section are not good enough, fine for air tools but not for plasma cutting.

What are you using for compressor and filtration?

Return to “Plasma Consumables”