Lead In/Out help

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Lead In/Out help

Post by Deezl Smoke »

adbuch wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:27 am
Deezl Smoke wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:08 am
zayne19 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:50 pm Here is another example of a sign we recently cut and a picture of what my SheetCam page tells me about Lead Ins and Outs. I have no idea as to what it should be set to to keep the small cut in dots from occurring when it starts its cut.
Where it says Path Rules "standard rules", click on the icon with the 3 dots and take a screenshot or picture of what the drop down menu says.
3 dots.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

adbuch wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:22 am
Deezl Smoke wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:02 am
adbuch wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:20 am

This has been my experience as well. I have the paths on the same layer, and then choose the "outside offset" option. The result I obtain is that it puts the lead-ins and cut paths on the correct side of the features.

David
This has not been my experience with Sheetcam. I have one Linux and two Windows Sheetcam programs, and I must use separate layers. Of course I have not tried to use one layer for all for years as once it did not work, I have been trained to always use separate layers. Perhaps it is my CAD program or my settings within Sheetcam, I don't know. But I also admit I have very limited experience vectorising an image. I'm usually given a dirty piece of notebook paper with a bunch of scribble on it and have to create the part from that. Otherwise I have gotten quite familiar with that yellow triangle with an ! in the middle showing up in the upper left corner.....multiple times.
Multiple layers or a single layer - whatever works for you. I can see where using multiple layers would be good for very complicated parts where you wish to only cut one layer at a time. Or even separating your interior cuts into different layers - perhaps for testing the first time the part is cut - assuming there will be multiple parts.

David
For me, a beginner, it's easier to separate layers before sheetcam than in sheetcam. I'm sure if a sheetcam expert were to sit down with me and show me more about sheetcam, things would be different. But my learning process is from the 60s and 70s, yep, way back in the 20th century. So for whatever reason, I find working in CAD easier than working in CAM.
This too could be a settings thing, if I import a multi layer part into sheetcam, and select inside offset for the inside layer, sheetcam will do it's magic and go around the part cutting the inside layer to reduce warping or excess heat build up in any one area. Then does the same for outside offset etc. I've not tried to use one layer for all to see if sheetcam would do the same or not. But I sure do like the modern day user interface of these programs. It's the only reason I can do this stuff.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

What cad program are using where you are setting your layers? I followed your screen shot and apparently I have no path rules set. But I see where you might be going with this - that perhaps the OP had his path rules wrong, or selected the wrong set of path rules - and as a consequence he ended up with his cut paths and/or pierce lead-ins on the wrong side of the part features.

David
path rules.jpg
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

adbuch wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:38 am What cad program are using where you are setting your layers? I followed your screen shot and apparently I have no path rules set. But I see where you might be going with this - that perhaps the OP had his path rules wrong, or selected the wrong set of path rules - and as a consequence he ended up with his cut paths and/or pierce lead-ins on the wrong side of the part features.

David

path rules.jpg
I'm using Q-cad. The OP mentioned "in class", which made me assume he may be using a school machine that another class may have added or changed a rule set for their purposes and not changed it back. The OP's screenshot shows "standard rules". My standard rules that came with the machine had a rule about small circles. I have since had the need to make my own rule sets. Here's one I use most of the time now. The job should show the rules applied during all paths.
my rule set.jpg
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

adbuch wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:38 am What cad program are using where you are setting your layers? I followed your screen shot and apparently I have no path rules set. But I see where you might be going with this - that perhaps the OP had his path rules wrong, or selected the wrong set of path rules - and as a consequence he ended up with his cut paths and/or pierce lead-ins on the wrong side of the part features.

David

path rules.jpg
David,

Have you tried using different colors for each operation (No lead in - Line / Inside lead in - Hole / Outside lead in - Part) while making the original drawing? Then click use colours as layer name when importing into SheetCam?
It is a tremendous click saver.

Steve
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:42 am

David

path rules.jpg
David,

Have you tried using different colors for each operation (No lead in - Line / Inside lead in - Hole / Outside lead in - Part) while making the original drawing? Then click use colours as layer name when importing into SheetCam?
It is a tremendous click saver.

Steve
:Like :Like :Like
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

An example of how I create a part in CAD.
Q.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Deezl Smoke wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:29 am An example of how I create a part in CAD.

Q.jpg
Nice! Which version of QCad are you using?
Thanks,
David
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Qcad pro.
The user interface is so simple, for me to use it has to be. I didn't even start learning about CAD until I purchased the table. I'm 61 years old. If you would have told me 7 or 8 years ago that I would be doing this, I would have laughed in your face. Anything more than point and click was way over my head. After somehow a video came up through the algorithm and I actually watched it, I started to wonder if I could now learn to use a computer for something more. Still not understanding splines and arcs too well, but I'm getting there.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Deezl Smoke wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:07 am Qcad pro.
The user interface is so simple, for me to use it has to be. I didn't even start learning about CAD until I purchased the table. I'm 61 years old. If you would have told me 7 or 8 years ago that I would be doing this, I would have laughed in your face. Anything more than point and click was way over my head. After somehow a video came up through the algorithm and I actually watched it, I started to wonder if I could now learn to use a computer for something more. Still not understanding splines and arcs too well, but I'm getting there.
:Like :Like :Like
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

Here is what my path rules state. I am also going to cut another piece with an outside offset to see if that helps the issue.
IMG_4377.jpeg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

zayne19 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 am Here is what my path rules state. I am also going to cut another piece with an outside offset to see if that helps the issue.
I know we've had this discussion before (off line) - but I would suggest that you try a sharpie pen holder attached to your torch to draw your file before you cut it. This is a great way to test out your file to make sure everything looks correct before actually cutting (and possibly wasting) valuable material.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I downloaded it to have a look. The price seemed reasonable for the program plus the manual. It sort of reminds me of AutoCad, which I have been using since the late 90's. I started out with release 13, but ended up with release 14 which I still use to this day for certain tasks. I have it installed on several of my Windows xp and 2000 computers. I probably won't take the time to become proficient with Qcad - but it is interesting to check it out. For most of my "cad" drawings these days - I use Design Edge or Bricscad (new improved version of AutoCad).

David
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

adbuch wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:48 am
I downloaded it to have a look. The price seemed reasonable for the program plus the manual. It sort of reminds me of AutoCad, which I have been using since the late 90's. I started out with release 13, but ended up with release 14 which I still use to this day for certain tasks. I have it installed on several of my Windows xp and 2000 computers. I probably won't take the time to become proficient with Qcad - but it is interesting to check it out. For most of my "cad" drawings these days - I use Design Edge or Bricscad (new improved version of AutoCad).

David
For certain. Any and all of your current programs will out perform Q-cad I'm sure. For the new user to get used to CAD though, I think Q-cad is an amazing tool. 2 of my neighbors are mechanical engineers. One is into 3d printing, the other woks at a place that does stuff for various aeronautics industries. I've seen some of the CAD drawings they make and.....ya, I think I recognize about 2 of the hundreds of icons in the tool bars. :Wow I've been trying to make it a point to learn more keyboard shortcuts each time I find a new procedure to use.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

zayne19 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 am Here is what my path rules state. I am also going to cut another piece with an outside offset to see if that helps the issue.
IMG_4377.jpeg
Yep, looks like the standard rule alright.
If you suspect that your torch is trying to move too fast for the small parts of a drawing, try making a new rule set that slows the torch on small parts and sharp corners as well as turns thc off when doing so, and see if you like it better.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”