wiring a machine torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
kdmensen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

wiring a machine torch

Post by kdmensen »

I want to order a xp 45 machine torch for my Hyperthern 45 , I have cpc port on the back of my machine and wondering what wiring or what I need to order to make this work, Thanks for any info,
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: wiring a machine torch

Post by acourtjester »

I think if you use the search function in the upper right there are posts in the past showing the info you need. Including the where to buy the parts for the plug so you can make your own cable. The signals are to fire the torch, Arc Ok and Arc voltage. Depending on your electronics as to where you will nook up the signals if you have a THC.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The CPC port is a standard Circular Plastic Connector , 14 pin . The pinout is in every Hypertherm, manual. the rest depends entirely on what it is"feeding" . In the end there are three base signals:
1. Torch Fire (START) pair.
2, ARC OK (TRANSFER) signal from Plasma to show there is a VALID arc (cutting metal)
3, Divided Volts.. Usually with a card that lets you pick different divide ratios

Its a good idea to keep that cable as short as possible . Some THCs have remote pickup modules that carry the signal back to the controls.

The machine torch will plug into the torch connector (not the CPC) . The difference is you cannot fire the machine torch at the plasma , it has to be fired using the START signal from the CPC) If you are already using the CPC then all you should have to do is change how you fire the torch
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Here is a link tot he torch you will need https://harrisweldingsupplies.com/hyper ... de-059477/ and aside from that I cant think of anything else that you would need to order to get this going your system unless you don't have the cable that plugs into your CPC port then you will need to do something about that unless you hard wire it internally.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The parts to build a CPC cable are not real cheap. You have to buy the crimp pins and have a tool that is made for those pins and there are two sizes. Hypertherm sells the cables that you can connect the 6 wires toi the correct pins. We have cables that match our PWM module but they are screw terminals you can remove. We only offer short cables because the intent ios to connect to the PWMII module that is place at the plasma and converts the small analogue voltage to a noise immune PWM signalback to our DTHC IV or DTHC5 . The PWMII is part of our high speed DTHC which is part of the motion system and closed loop on the Z so its not designed to work with other THC solutions .
PlasmaDon
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by PlasmaDon »

I bought the shell body & pins from newark & Digikey, borrowed the crimp tool from work.
Have since purchased the crimp tool from aliexpress for about $25.
I have in a pinch soldered the pins on, you have to be carefull with the socket ones, to not fill them
with solder.
If you go the DIY route, make sure you buy the "push back out" tools.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

kdmensen wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 am I want to order a xp 45 machine torch for my Hyperthern 45 , I have cpc port on the back of my machine and wondering what wiring or what I need to order to make this work, Thanks for any info,
Which plasma table do you have? They are NOT all the same.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”