PlasmaCAM Genesis Release

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
1MORECUT
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PlasmaCAM Genesis Release

Post by 1MORECUT »

I was informed that drag chains can cause strain on the wiring, and the extended wire can act as an antenna for EMI interference. With the controller on the boom arm, the cables are shorter greatly reducing EMI interference. The table was running with the computer up to 80' away.

John
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

1MORECUT wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:15 pm I was informed that drag chains can cause strain on the wiring, and the extended wire can act as an antenna for EMI interference. With the controller on the boom arm, the cables are shorter greatly reducing EMI interference. The table was running with the computer up to 80' away.

John
I have been running 20’ long main harness on mine using drag chains for several years with no issues. Anything is possible I suppose.
Robert Johnson
PlasmaCAM GURU & Instructor
FourNinety Creations & Learn PC, LLC
(918) 457-0289 * Robert@490Creations.com
Did I help and you want to help me out? Buy me a coffee! - Thanks!
I am not affiliated with PlasmaCAM, Inc. in any way. I offer training on their equipment and software. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them are for nominative purposes only and does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

1MORECUT wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:15 pm I was informed that drag chains can cause strain on the wiring, and the extended wire can act as an antenna for EMI interference. With the controller on the boom arm, the cables are shorter greatly reducing EMI interference. The table was running with the computer up to 80' away.

John
That sounds like a load of BS to me. I suspect they don't want to spend the time and expense on them knowing the machine will sell well regardless.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:33 am

John
That sounds like a load of BS to me. I suspect they don't want to spend the time and expense on them knowing the machine will sell well regardless.
This will be a great opportunity for one of the Plasmacam users to come up with an add-on kit to convert to drag chains. Robert has already done this for his own table, perhaps he will develop a drag chain kit to add to his online Learn Plasmacam store.

David
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

CNC_rowdy wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:06 am Yes, drag chains would have been nice. What about all of us Go Torch guys? A little Genesis Go Torch for use as a space saver with a notebook?
Tim
MAYBE PlasmaCam will decide to offer a "DHC2 to GENESIS" Conversion Kit. :roll: It would come with everything but the table legs and original grate slats. This would actually be SMART on their part, as they would both sell the new GENESIS machines to current DHC2 table owners, and greatly REDUCE the number of used DHC2 tables that would otherwise hit the market, and thus compete with GENESIS sales.

The people who convert their DHC2 tables into GENESIS machines would then have the old gantry and carriage which could easily be SOLD, or fabricated into a pipe cutting accessory on a sawhorse, or used to mount a router for a lathe type setup, or whatever. The old rails could also be sold to recover some of the cost of the new table. The old controllers would also be of value on the marketplace!

The people who convert their DHC2 to a GENESIS could sell their table frames and grate slats to people who want to convert a DHC2 into a 4x8 configuration. PlasmaCam would sell the Customizable Size Upgrades to all of them at $998.00 each ... Everybody wins!

Unfortunately, I do not believe a GoTorch version of the GENESIS is on the drawing table. However, a good fabricator .... :roll:

Joe

Last edited by Joe Jones on Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
CNC_rowdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by CNC_rowdy »

Joe thanks for answering, i was putting it out there.
Thanks,
Tim
Go Torch 2x2 Table
Advanced Design Edge, Machine Control, Height Control
Snap & Cut Torch Holder
Hypertherm XP 45 Plasma Cutter & Machine Torch
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I think the Go Torch is going to disappear. PlasmaCam will probably sell out their remaining units, and it will become an albatross, since it cannot be converted to a GENISIS table via the Customizable Size Upgrade.

I could be wrong.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

isn't the go torch designed to capture the lower end of the market where plasma am was unaffordable completing with some of the newer tables ..... so they would be daft to give up on this market share
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

robertspark wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:55 am isn't the go torch designed to capture the lower end of the market where plasma am was unaffordable completing with some of the newer tables ..... so they would be daft to give up on this market share
I see no reason why they would not come out with a "Genesis" version of the GoTorch.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

robertspark wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 11:55 am isn't the go torch designed to capture the lower end of the market where plasma am was unaffordable completing with some of the newer tables ..... so they would be daft to give up on this market share
No. The Go Torch was designed to be a FIELD cnc machine. You place the steel onto saw horses, and place the Go Torch directly on top of the material, to cut out gussets and other components on the fly, at a job site. That is the original design intent for the Go Torch. It was specifically sold as a bare bones machine, with the intent to have DXF files of the various components one would normally cut out of a sheet of steel on a job site already on a disk or thumb drive. So it was sold with no design software, and only BASIC machine control.

The Go Torch would not be a good candidate for the Genesis level cnc machine. The gantry is completely different. The side rails would need to attach to a small frame, and the boom arm is not high enough to accommodate the NEW carriage and gantry.

They might continue to sell the Go Torch, but I seriously doubt it. I think the Go Torch is on its way out, and I SERIOUSLY doubt that they will ever apply the Genesis design to a Go Torch.

I also doubt there will be a Genesis 510 table either. :Sad

I could be wrong.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
16 Lasers

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”