HYPERTHERM Machine & Hand Torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

HYPERTHERM Machine & Hand Torch

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I will soon be purchasing a HYPERTHERM PowerMax 85 to be used with a CNC Plasma Table.

I will be using CandCNC's BladeRunner Dragon Cut System with the Advanced Connection Kit.

That includes the Current Probe and the RS-485 SIM Kit.

After I have all this hooked up to my PowerMax 85, with a 25' machine torch attached to my CNC Plasma Table. I now decide I want to cut something like a "birds-mouth" in a piece of pipe with a 50' hand torch connected to my PowerMax 85, how complicated will it be to make the machine torch to hand torch switch out.

The PowerMax will stay stationary / mounted to a stand near the Plasma Table. . .

Will I have to disconnect / unplug all my connections between my CandCNC controller and the Powermax or just simply swap the torch connections.

I know a 50' hand torch will cost me about $600.00, but that is cheaper than buying a second plasma cutter for hand held use.

Any problem solving comments appreciated . . .
Thanks,
Steve
Last edited by CNCCAJUN on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: HYPERTHERM Machine & Hand Torch

Post by I Lean »

As long as you can leave your plasma cutter where it is, I think it's as simple as changing the torch leads. (which is a quick-connect deal)

That's what it's like for my Powermax 45 anyway, which does not have the serial port for communications--so that's the only possible sticky spot.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Unplug MT Plug in Ht nd start cutting everything else can stay hooked up atleaast it does on my pm 65
I think the cutter knows which torch is pluged in, smart
Mike
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

All you need to do is unplug the quick disconnect machine torch and plug in the quick disconnect hand torch. The machine start signal will not fire the hand torch....assuming that the cnc machine is interfaced through the rear panel CPC connector. I have a Powermax85 on one of my cnc machines....I switch from the machine torch to the hand torch often to cut up the metal skeleton for easy removal from the table.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Thanks, I was under the impression that I would have to disconnect the Rs 485 Serial Connector and/or the CPC connector that will be tied to my CandCNC Control Panel . . .

Steve :)
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Thanks, I was under the impression that I would have to disconnect the Rs 485 Serial Connector and/or the CPC connector that will be tied to my CandCNC Control Panel . . .

Do you have to turn off the PowerMax to make the torch switch over?

Steve :)
I would turn it off & probably wouldn't hurt to unplug it. Not sure if you can change it out powered up but no longer than it takes to flip a switch, why risk it?
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

When you unplug the torch disconnect the power supply will interlock out.....it will not refire until another torch is plugged in and you re-cycle the power switch. There are a lot of safety features engineered into the Hypertherm systems.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Thank you Jim . . .

I think we need to establish a new rule . . .

Tom with CandCNC and Jim with Hypertherm shall never be allowed to travel together . . .nor should they be allowed to be in the same building at the same time . . .

Sort of like the President and the Vice President . . .

This will protect the livelihoods of 100's of Plasma CNC operators throughout the world . . .

Thank you again . . :)
Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”