Drum Sander/Wide Belt Sander

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Drum Sander/Wide Belt Sander

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Is any one using a drum sander or wide belt sander to clean up your parts? If so please provide details as I am thinking about using one in my shop.
Thanks, Dawg
kdahep
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Drum Sander/Wide Belt Sander

Post by kdahep »

I use a Jet 16/32 drum sander. I buy the rolls of 40 grit paper that you cut on the line that goes with the 16 inch sander. you can get 19 belts from a roll. Keep your belt very tight on the drum or it will tear it up. Took me a few belts to figure that out. I put a new belt on , run a piece through a couple of times, then re adjust the belt or tighten it up a bit., you have to do this 3 or 4 times to get it tight. keep in mind each pass only takes off a few thousands.
Also with this sander it has a circut board for the feed belt and the board is not sealed up and will act as a magnet and collect the metal grindings and short it out. I replaced the DC motor with a AC gear motor that I purchased from a surplus web site in Omaha Neb. I believe. I did away with the board this way and haven't had any problems since.
This works great with pieces 7 inches or longer and makes the piece look like Stainless Steel

I hope this will help you out

kdahep

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”