gotorch/plasmacam

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

gotorch/plasmacam

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

after editing this a hundred times, I don't know whether to love or hate plasmacam, I'll just be neutral

except, after shopping, asking, reading, buying, watching video, and especially after reading the basic operating instructions, the software came up 2 upgrades below basic which I wasn't expecting up to that point

I don't like suprises like that......

with that said, I like the machine, always have, always will, and the software....
Last edited by SignTorch Vector Art on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: gotorch/plasmacam or etch-a-sketch

Post by muzza »

Gary, I'm sad to hear that you who all too often openly and so generously offer so much support and help to the plasma cutting community have been caught by their underhanded technique of screwing people over.

When the question was asked previously by a prospective purchaser of Gotorch I tried to diplomatically highlight an area from their own website which pointed out that they offered no support for the product they sold, you have to use an online user community and that everything was an add on but you had to first buy the machine to find out about this community and options. I do notice that they have changed their website wording since then and it doesn't seem to spell it out so clearly. Apologies for not being more to the point back then but after the serve I copped from some pro Plasmacam people when I highlighted my unpleasant experiences over a deal that went sour with them I bit my tongue so as it wouldn't look like I was holding a grudge.

I expect many more will purchase the Gotorch setup and for those who are totally new or unfamiliar with other options in the market place will be none the wiser to the raw deal they are copping and think they have a bargain. Although it is too late for you hopefully your experience can enlighten others and again in a way you hadn't planned you are continuing to help others as you so often do.

And for the record my first 4 years of plasma cutting was on a Plasmacam DHC II table, although the first 6 months of that was spent trying to get it going with little or no support from Plasmacam, although I must admit that logistics and totally different time zone was also a contributing factor there.

Also I think all things happen for a reason, I ended up building my own table and now have a much better understanding of how and why and am able to rectify most table problems with that experience and this has happened to you because you are a person who is known and respected in the plasma cutting world and can be heard, I am just a guy thousands of miles from where it matters in a little island south of the equator.

Murray
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Murray, no apology necessary, but it makes me feel better that you tried. I wanted to say something sooner myself, but I had to give them every opportunity to show their true colors.

I'm not that great, I'm just fortunate to be surrounded by people like you.

thanks
Vern2
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Vern2 »

SignTorch,

Your right about what comes with GoTorch. Take a look at another plasma table supplier, a very good company called Torchmate, great support. It sounds like you just described there 2x2 table, but not there web site. Only difference is there's not a separate web site that seems to bolster there product like GoTorch. GoTorch's site leaves a buyer thinking there's more software that comes with the plasma table then what you really get. That's a legit complaint.

http://www.vansantent.com/torchmate2x2.htm

You got hooked like I did, but there prices are not out of line, there promises are out of line? I will buy there software and move on. I do think PlasmaCam's software, all around, is better. This is what both of us missed DesignEdge 3.xx... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5bd6kuyiA

Lifes to short,
Vern
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Just to clarify....GoTorch is a smaller PlasmaCam machine (built in the same factory in Colorado) that is offered at a lower price, and with less features than the standard PlasmaCam DHC2 and Samson (4 x 4 and 5 x 10) systems. It uses many of the same components (electronics, motors, basic operating software, etc.) however features are removed (such as height control (although it does have a motorized z axis) CAD drawing software , and some other CAM software features are also locked out to save cost. It also does not have the support legs to stand the unit up, rather, the buyer has to build the remaining components of the system.

The product (to me anyway) is not at all misleading...rather it is an attempt to offer a lower cost, smaller, cnc machine with equal or more comparative capability (as compared to the Torchmate 2 x 2 and 2 x 4 machine offerings) at a similar or lower price. A very nice feature with the GoTorch.....as you start using it and realize the need for full function height control....or the PlasmaCam Design Edge (pretty nice actually, I have it) software...or additional CAD features....it is all upgradeable by contacting the GoTorch website. As an example...to upgrade to full height control capability with Ohmic contact plate sensing adds $1000 to the cost of the system......with the Torchmate system, adding height control costs around $2500.

So, like with any product, do not expect all of the best features on the budget priced machine! If you need all of the features from PlasmaCam...look at the DHC2, or look at the GoTorch with all of the upgrades....you will find that they are very similarly priced when they are compared apples to apples, feature to feature.

I'm not knocking or touting either Torchmate, PlasmaCam or Go Torch....(I own a PlasmaCam DHC2 and a Torchmate 2 x 4)...they are all great entry level plasma cnc machines. You do have to do your homework and be sure you know what you are buying. If you search the internet you will find dozens of low cost cnc plasma machine offerings, as well as quite a few "kit" machines for do it yourselfers. Properly purchased and built...they will all do the job. If you are looking for more of a turnkey machine....go with the well known brands such as the PlasmaCam or the Torchmate.....get the height control option with any machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Vern2 wrote:You got hooked like I did, but there prices are not out of line, there promises are out of line? I will buy there software and move on. I do think PlasmaCam's software, all around, is better. This is what both of us missed DesignEdge 3.xx... ...
Hi Vern,

I'm glad you are ok with yours, I hope it works out, I know they are good machines, and I know the software is capable, and that the company is mostly amazing, so I think the odds are in your favor now.

I'm torn, I tried to like it, didn't work out, I REALLY don't want to criticize them, being negative is not my cup of tea, muzza is right, I'll just re-edit my initial post to neutral and just hope everyone succeeds.

I didn't even get the torch to fire, but I gained some more respect for what all y'all go through, geesh, y'all are good

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”