Introduction, not sure where this belongs!

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Introduction, not sure where this belongs!

Post by Metal Arcs »

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum(s). I work in a structural fab shop and decided to see if our large scale plasma can do more than squares and circles :twisted:

Though I have sold a decent amount of items large and small I'm just starting out and am still getting used to all the things related to what i've called a "hobby with benefits" at this point.

I hope to learn from this forum and have really enjoyed seeing what some of you guys have created. Keep up the good work!

Metal Arcs
http://www.metalarcs.com
BrianMick
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Introduction, not sure where this belongs!

Post by BrianMick »

welcome to the site.
Brian
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Welcome to the site...as you will find out, you can do quite a bit more than just squares and circles. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

Thanks gents!

Brian, I noticed you are part of a larger structural shop, how does the Custom CNC cutting do for your company? I'm finding there is a lot of interest in custom cut items, but people seem to get quickly discouraged due to the costs involved. Especially because I cut heavier material, 1/4" or thicker. I've been thinking abut investing in a smaller machine to do lighter gauge stuff but i am not sure if I want to make that leap yet.

Have any insight
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Largemouthlou »

Welcome aboard!!
I would think with different consumables and setting even your bigger machine can do some of the smaller stuff.. Also have trouble getting parts sold, guess my time, investments and rent aren't supposed to be figured in according to the customer!! :lol:
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

Customers never cease to amaze me, thats for sure. No matter what business/service I'm performing, my time is always rated about 0-2 dollars per hour. Web, Audio, Video, Print, Plasma Art, Construction, etc....

Guess you gotta weed these people out the best ya can and learn from getting burned. I am in the process of learning yet again....
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Metal Arcs wrote:Thanks gents!

Brian, I noticed you are part of a larger structural shop, how does the Custom CNC cutting do for your company? I'm finding there is a lot of interest in custom cut items, but people seem to get quickly discouraged due to the costs involved. Especially because I cut heavier material, 1/4" or thicker. I've been thinking abut investing in a smaller machine to do lighter gauge stuff but i am not sure if I want to make that leap yet.

Have any insight
Metal Arcs, We started off with a 5x10 sampson table, Which has paid itself off in under 2 years, we started selling some artsy stuff just to promote the table, which worked well. Now that we are established in the area, we have decided to add an additional table(much larger) an alltra table with a hpr400. the main reason we got the first table was to sell more steel,which also worked but there is no weight to any art project. With the new table we will be able to plasmacut up to 2 inches thick with good quality and 6 inches with the oxy-fuel head. this should allow us to cut more production parts and sell more pounds worth of steel at the same time. We are planning on keeping the smaller machine for the thinner guage stuff.
Brian
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

Very cool Brian, thanks for the insight. I would love to incorporate the stuff I do a bit more into my companies model, but I feel I need to first show them there is a demand for this type of metal working. As of right now I am just paying a percentage over their material costs plus some consumables.. A little more time and some larger scale projects and I think they will start to consider a little bit of a "custom cnc" department.

You are correct Lou, changing settings and different consumables and I can run some lighter stuff, but there isn't enough hours in the week for me yet, the machine stays busy cutting cap and base plates, poor thing. Maybe soon it will get to the point where I am running more lighter gauge stuff. Time will tell!

I am new to the forum, do you guys know why certain profile options are blocked?
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Metal Arcs wrote:
I am new to the forum, do you guys know why certain profile options are blocked?

Welcome to the forum, view this thread about becoming a contributing member http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2001
It'll be the best $20.00 you ever spend, I guarantee it (read my post there)
Murray

Return to “Introduce Yourself”