Consumable Tracking App

General software related questions should be posted here.
rosonowski
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Consumable Tracking App

Post by rosonowski »

NEW Version! Actually saves your values and log!
plasmabuddy_v1.png
plasmabuddy_v1.png (41.59 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
PlasmaBuddy.zip
(221.43 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
consumable_tracker_v1.png
consumable_tracker_v1.png (45.88 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
So I know there's some code for consumable tracking in mach3, but I wanted something that functioned more like a notepad and a pen in terms of 'is it time to change that consumable yet?'

So I hacked up a little app and now I'm sharing it with you guys.

I was going to go through all of the trouble of doing standard/metric and then I decided "meh, whatever. you either use inches or you use cm, and you can remember. You're smart people."

A few notes: I have no idea what the expected life on these things are, and even if I got the right names. There is no persistence, that is, it won't save values if you close it. That's something for a future version, if there's interest. Is there interest? What else would you like to see? I'm a computer science student on break and I need a project =p
Attachments
SourceCode.zip
(116 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
consumable_tracker.zip
(16.97 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by rosonowski on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
pertneer
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Consumable Tracking App

Post by pertneer »

I like the idea. curious to see how you are tracking the progress of each.

I will look through the code and see if I understand what you are doing. I have a minor in programming (very minor, lol). I do think the cap needs to be named nozzle though as that is the correct term for it.
4'x8' CNC Plasma w/Water Table Running a Powermax 65 :D
CandCNC, Mach3, SheetCam, Millwrite Plasma V6
rosonowski
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by rosonowski »

Really, it's not that complex. Pretty much everything happens in Form1.cs and visual studio handles all the hard parts like rendering to the screen and making buttons and input fields and so on. I mostly included the source code so anyone who knows how to read it can tell there's nothing malicious, since I have such a low post count and all.

So the nozzle and electrode are the two major ones to track though, right? The shield, retaining cap, swirl ring and whatnot get changed much less often by my understanding, but I've been more concerned with the computing side of things and only have a cursory understanding of how the torch actually works.

I attached an 'updated' version with the labels changed.
Attachments
SourceCode.zip
updated "cap" to "nozzle"
(99.08 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
consumable_tracker.zip
updated "cap" to "nozzle"
(16.98 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

I understand why you shared the code and no there is nothing malicious in it at all(for other who can not read source code). A couple of things you may want to consider is keeping the tracking information when the app closes. Currently when you close the app it loses the information. Depending how far along you are in your education you may not have covered that type of thing yet. I was working on it the other day for you but have reached a stumbling block myself and I am researching how to overcome it. When I get it to that point I will send it to you in a pm for you to look over and post if you would like.
rosonowski
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by rosonowski »

Yeah, I know it doesn't store anything, this is just something I hacked together real quick. If I had been working in C++, I could have just sent everything to iostream and written it out to a file. In Visual C#, 'good form' says I should serialize the object to XML, which I'm still reading about. I've got event handlers for the form loading and closing, it's just a matter of learning how serialization works. Since there seems to be interest, and it's something I need to learn anyhow, I'll post an updated version when I add that.
pertneer

Post by pertneer »

I will be looking forward to this in the future. Since I really only know java and VB I have been just improvising to get it to store the information. So as you say good form( which is not my specialty) would be better for you to learn. I will not confuse you with my trials (and errors :cry: ), but I always love learning these things as well.
rosonowski
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by rosonowski »

plasmabuddy_v1.png
plasmabuddy_v1.png (41.59 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
So the semester finished out a few days ago, and I finally found the time to finish up the basic version of this. I'm still hoping to add some more robust logging functionality, maybe some statistics... dunno. Ideas?
Attachments
PlasmaBuddy.zip
(221.43 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Return to “General Discussion”