Bevel

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Bevel

Post by Fountaine »

I am getting a lot of bevel on the right side of a cut.

I have a TD A40 and using a THC. I cut 14 gage at 105V and 100 ipm.

I have tried to make several test cuts, dropping or increasing my speed and raising and lowering my volts. All my tests seem to look alike and all have bevel.

HELP.......
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Bevel

Post by jimcolt »

You are cutting on thin material with an air plasma system. The bevel will always be there. Air plasma systems produce more bevel on thin material and less bevel on thicker materials as measured in degrees from the surface of the plate.

To minimize bevel:

-Use the lowest power set of consumables that your torch manufacturer recommends for the thickness you are cutting.

-Use the torch manufacturers recommended cut speed and physical cut height. If the speed is too high, more bevel, if the cut height is too high, more bevel.

If you need "close to square" square edges on materials thinner than about 3/16"....you will need to cut your plate with either a High Definition plasma, a laser, or a water jet......all of which are more expensive as compared to an air plasma.

Jim Colt
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fountaine »

Jim, Thanks for the info and education. This really helps.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Jim,
We run a Powermax 65 with a Duramax machine torch on a Samson 5x10. The bevel averages 4 to 7 degrees. So is that normal for what we're running?
Thanks,
Allen
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Also make sure you are cutting in the right direction. The better edge will be on the right hand side of the torch relative to travel. Outside contours should go CW. Inside contours should go CCW.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”