Stepper motor gone bad-Torchmate

Torchmate Hardware discussion forum
runninwild400
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Stepper motor gone bad-Torchmate

Post by runninwild400 »

Today while running my machine I started to notice that it looked as though it was missing some steps, after further investigation I believe the problem is the stepper motor. I took the drive belt off it and did some tests with it and it would randomly stop for a split second then start again, when I bumped the speed up to 200 ipm it would start and then stop and wouldn't start again, it would just make a loud humming noise. So I guess my real question is, does anyone know where I can get a new stepper at a reasonable cost? It's a Torchmate machine and I'm planning on calling them tomorrow to get a price but from what I have read on some other sites Torchmate charges about 5 times more for them. The ones I have are a nema 23, 269 oz-in. My other question is, can I increase the oz-in without any problems? reasoning for this is because when I'm cutting light guage and increase my speed I have always had problems with the machine missing steps, it's almost as if it loads up a bit then lunges. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't know a whole lot about these motors and I would just like to get the machine back up and running at a reasonable cost. I don't mind spending money on parts as long as I get decent ones and don't get ripped like so many companies like to do to you these days. Thanks in advance for any and all help. :)
Brian
Metal-Magic
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Stepper motor gone bad

Post by Larry83301 »

I buy mine on EBAY. Just be sure to get it from someone with a good rep AND use PayPal, you get a garantee that way. As for going up in torque, check and stt what your power supply can stand. :D

Larry

Something like this???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-NEMA-23-D ... 1c2f6283ff
plasmapros
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by plasmapros »

Stepper motors are very reliable and rarely ever fail when used properly. Try plugging your "bad" motor into a driver for 1 of the other motors. If it still does not turn properly than its likely the motor or the cable feeding the motor that is bad. If the motor functions properly than the problem is likely with your driver. To determine if you can use a larger motor check the current output of the driver and select a larger motor that is not rated for more amps than the driver can deliver. Stick with the same frame size (nema 23 likely) and it will bolt right up. You can often get a taller motor with the same frame size that can deliver more torque.

plasmapros
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

I fully agree w/ testing that motor on another axis. I had basically the same problem a couple of years ago and it was the Gecko controller that was bad not the motor. The Gecko was out of warranty but they replaced it free of charge after I sent it to them for testing.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
runninwild400

Post by runninwild400 »

Thanks for the answers, I"ve been playing with that motor for a few days now and I can't get it to act up anymore, it's got me more confused than normal, think I may order a new motor anyways just to have as a back up. Thanks again.
Brian
Metal-Magic

Return to “Torchmate Forum”