Paint booth ventilation

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Paint booth ventilation

Post by Mountain Home »

I have a 7' x 12' room in my shop that I would like to convert to a paint booth and maybe later be able to spray powder in.
I am looking for advice on ventilation. Should I use exhaust fan or filter. Any recommended fans, if that's the way to go.
Thanks for any Ideas.
Xalky
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Paint booth ventilation

Post by Xalky »

Wow, this might be late.
You need an intake as well as an exhaust. You can Use a fan to pull the air out of the booth which will create a negative air atmoshere OR you can push air in with your fan. A filter should be used on the inlet to the booth regardless of which way you choose to clean the air as it comes into the booth. If your using a tent style booth ie: using tarps or plastic , then a positive air scenario might be better, Pushing the air in, this will cause your booth to blow up like a balloon. This works well with tents because you dont have to be as fussy sealing the booth, Any leaks will exhaust out keeping the atmosphere inside the booth clean, just make a filter box on the fan side and push your air thru the filter before it gets into the tent.

If your concerned about vapors getting into the rest of your shop then a pull configuration would be better but harder to seal the leaks. Regardless of how you decide to do it you need replacement air in the room.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”