Marking you products

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Marking you products

Post by kb3gun »

I'm just starting out in metal art. I've done a few freehand pieces in the past and now have a CNC table. Are any of you marking/signing your art, and if so, how are you doing it? Ink stamps, engraving, metal stamping? I give out business cards with my sales but think I should be marking the items.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Marking you products

Post by jmsrbrt »

I have tried a metal marking pen, and those stamps you hit with a hammer. Currently not doing either. Just hand them a business card and a flyer.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

we put stickers with our logo & website on the items
minimal cost, looks nice
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

Thanks for the responses. I might try the sticker idea.
-Smitty
artistic touch metals
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by artistic touch metals »

Well from what I have found is that if you sign it.... it seems to get a few extra bucks. I sign with any color perm. marker that goes best with what ever it is I made. Then clear coat it so it stays in place. I also attach a business card and a thank you card to each piece.

At fairs, or other events... I will sign it right there in front of the person who is buying it... that seems to attract more people over to the booth.

Also when working a booth event... I have a computer slide show going... use a lot of shots with grinding, welding, and flame coloring... fire attracts people...and try to do some type of work while sitting there... like airbrushing some color.. some events will allow you to utilize flame..which is a big attention grabber.

If its a larger work, like ohhhh say a gate or a pickup ladder rack, I cut out my company logo and attach it somewhere to the item.

Advertising works, so what ever you can do to get your name out there...the better off things will go.

Max
Max Clinger
Artistic Touch Metals LLC.
Plasma Cam ( WITHOUT THE 2 GRAND SOFTWARE UPDATE)
Hypertherm Models 1250 (hand work) 45 (CNC)
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kb3gun »

Thanks Max! You make some great points.

-Bill
-Smitty
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

On my large yard art I sign by welding in my name and the year somewhere on the piece, not conspicuous. On my smaller wall art I have the plastic engraved tags made up with my business name, MADE IN USA and phone number and put them on the back. I get the small ones with sticky back, a little cost but easy to apply.

http://www.naptags.com/cusienplipl.html
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
STEELZILLA
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by STEELZILLA »

I HAVE A TORCHMATE 4X4 W/ PLATEMARKER TO SIGN MY WORK, AT LEAST THAT IS MY GOAL. FIRST CUTS ON 11/5/12.
jonn3y
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jonn3y »

Use a sticker I just print from my printer

On one off art i will sign and date with a silver sharpie pen, also with # prints ill number. You should sign everything its worth more to the customer
artistic touch metals
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by artistic touch metals »

One little addition here... I do sign everything I make... even gates..... Started doing that back when I welded on a metal door production line (mig'd my name and date on the inside of the door frames..... Boss hated it... but then he was a jerk anyway...)

Back to the point.... I sign everything, then tell them that what they have is a piece of art that someday after I die will be worth a whole 10 bucks more than they paid.... humor gets better return business than a grumpy ass attitude....

I have our company logo on file, cut it out of the waste material space ( the parts that fall out of a cut etc.....and attach it to larger piece work..like gates, truck racks etc.... Then attach a business card to the piece.

I then do a follow up letter sent to the buyer 30 days past sale, and again at 6 months. I ask for information related to the piece....like is the paint fading, or is there any rust developing, etc. I ask them if they were treated well by our company, if they are happy with the purchase. I ask them if they have any suggestions as to improvements to the product. Plus I toss in a 20% off coupon...... ( people love discounts)...

Basically I have found the followup letters to have a good impact on getting return customers. Keeping in contact with people that have bought your material is good business, selling them a piece of your work then ignoring the fact they liked it enough to buy one.... is loosing future business... customers are finicky, they have short memories unless they get pissed off...

Max
Artistic Touch Metals
Max Clinger
Artistic Touch Metals LLC.
Plasma Cam ( WITHOUT THE 2 GRAND SOFTWARE UPDATE)
Hypertherm Models 1250 (hand work) 45 (CNC)
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

On certain pieces that I clear powdercoat I've been signing and dating with an industrial black Sharpie. The ink doesn't fade or run, stays just as sharp as when you sign it. Looks pretty good, and makes the piece allittle more personal....

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

We have small clear stickers, 1"high x 2" long with our business name and phone number which are colored gold, silver, or black. That way we have a color that will look good on any metal art we sell. If we clearcoat we put the sticker on prior to clearcoating. We've tried different kinds of labels but these work best and look more professional. We found that if we order a large amount they're only about 50 cents each. And the funny thing is that we've even been complimented on how good our labels look!

Allen
Garysbiz
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Garysbiz »

abmetal- where do you get your stickers from and is it possible you could post a picture of those? I like that idea. Thank you- Gary
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Gary,
The business that made our labels is Signmaster in Cape Girardeau, Mo. (http://www.signmastercape.com). We ordered 500 in 3 different colors at 53 cents each.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

abmetal:
Do you order the vehicle graphics? What kind of file do you have to send them?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Dennis,
They wanted an eps file so I loaded it on a flashdrive and took it to them. We're only 15 miles away.

Allen

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”