Deskengrave DXF's won't open

General software related questions should be posted here.
Misguided Creator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Deskengrave DXF's won't open

Post by Misguided Creator »

I just downloaded Deskengrave a few days ago, and was amazed with it's simplicity in creating fonts, but when I try to open the DXF, in AutoCAD, it's saying there's an error, something missing on line 38. Has anyone else had any issues like this?
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Deskengrave DXF's won't open

Post by beefy »

I don't know if this will help but I've got a free simple cad program called A9CAD.

When I've tried to open one of the many knackered dxf files I've got hold of, both Draftsight and SolidEdge 2D would not open them and I just got a blank workspace. However A9CAD did open the file and I could see all the messed up lines when I zoomed in. With a bit of mucking about you can sometimes fix the bad point and it may then open in other programs.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Misguided Creator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

What's confusing me, is that it says the same thing for everything I've saved and tried to open in AutoCAD. Where would you suggest I look, for "Something Missing on Line 38"? Any ideas?
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Just did a quick search on Google about this problem, and it seems you are not alone.

What one guy did is use his other cad software (Alibre Design) to open the file then when he saves with this program, he can open it in Autocad. From the Googling I did the problem seems to be commmon with Autocad

See what free cad programs are out there. Some are A9CAD, Draftsight, SolidEdge 2D Drafting. There are others. Try opening in those programs and maybe do a "save as" to create a new file. See if that then opens in your Autocad program. You probably get a choice to save it in different Autocad dxf formats too.

Sorry but I don't know anything about Deskengrave.

Post a sample file here too and see if any of us can open it in our cad programs.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Misguided Creator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Thanks for your time in checkin that out, I've got Corel 9 and Rhino, which I'm still tryin to get the hang of, so I'll try doing that with those programs as well. Thanks again........Mike
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I don't think you'll need Deskengrave if you've got Coreldraw. You just type your text, size it, choose font, etc. When you're happy convert it to curves (artistic text) then it becomes like any other object and can be broken up, reshaped, added to, etc, then exported as a dxf or whatever other format you need.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
Misguided Creator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

beefy wrote:I don't think you'll need Deskengrave if you've got Coreldraw. You just type your text, size it, choose font, etc. When you're happy convert it to curves (artistic text) then it becomes like any other object and can be broken up, reshaped, added to, etc, then exported as a dxf or whatever other format you need.

Keith.

Thanks, I'll try that with Corel, I've tried it after watching tutorials, but it's an old version, and I was having trouble find the same commands as they were showing, that's why I was giving Deskengrave a shot. I'll try your way, and see if I can figure it out. Thanks again
Misguided Creator
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Cemrich,
That's the problem with my Rhino, it's not liscensed to me, but it's fully functional. I've got the original cds for the version: RhinoCAD 3D v3 w/ Flamingo and RhinoCAM 1.0. I took 1 semester of ProEngineering and AutoCAD2011, which both put together, since it is very similar to Rhino, just to get some knowledge of the software.Then once I went back to work, I haven't had enough time to figure out how to use the CAM part for plasma(box stock set-up, tool library set-up, etc.....) There's only 1tutorial that ive found, and it's onMecSoft's website with no audio. So I'm stuck only being able to try to learn it when I have time, so it's gonna be a long process, lol. I think the workshop you're putting on, is a great idea, but I don't see mself being able to get outa work long enough to participate. I really wish more people had working knowledge of Rhino, so I could get some help with it, but veryfewpeople use it., but thanks for the info, I willkeep it in mind. Thanks again.......Mike

Return to “General Discussion”