Gcode Editing/Programming

General software related questions should be posted here.
Duraramp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Gcode Editing/Programming

Post by Duraramp »

Hi There,

I have a g-code file that I cut all the time which is very inefficient and I am looking for someone to edit the file to cut down my cut time.

If you can picture it I have 17 - 30x8" rectangles with bolt holes in each corner. The program now cuts out all four holes than cuts out the rectangle. What I am trying to do is have the plasma cut all the bottom holes of all the plates, move up to the upper hole and backtrack cutting all the upper holes before cutting out all the rectangles.

Definitely willing to compensate for the time spent on the job.

Feel free to contact me if interested.

Thanks,

Brandon
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Gcode Editing/Programming

Post by muzza »

What program are you using to create your G code?

In Sheetcam you can change the cut sequence prior to creating the G code, in Plasmacam you can set the cut sequence prior to generating the cut path. I would assume most other systems have a similar set up. You can also go in and edit your G code if you understand what each line of code is, most times quicker and safer to do it prior to creating the G code.

Also some offer the option of doing all internal cuts prior to all external cuts or complete each part, also start cut from centre, lower left, etc.

Murray
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Maybe put all your circles on a layer to them selfs, then edit the cut sequence. hope this helps
Mike
Duraramp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Duraramp »

I use Nestmaster by hypertherm which does allow me to change the sequence of the finished parts but does not allow me to cut all the holes first then cut out the parts second.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Can you manually edit your G-Code? If so, just find the section of code that cuts the first outside rectangle , cut it out and move to the bottom of your G-Code file and paste it back in. You would have to do this for every rectangle in the order that you wanted them to cut. So that would mean that you start with the first, find the outside cut toolpath, cut it from the G-Code and then paste it to the very bottom. Go to the next one, find it, cut it and then paste that below the last one....rinse - repeat 17 times. Not sure how your program is set up, but with Torchcad (cad program that came with my table), I can change the order of cuts by moving the tool path to the front or back as needed. Once done I export the G-code over to my Torchmate software and cut. This is usually the easiest way instead of manually editing the G-code itself.

In my Torchmate software, I can cut/paste or make whatever changes I need to manually into the G-code. If your cutting software will allow you to do this, but you are not sure how to read your G-code, run your cut program/torch but don't actually cut the piece (torch off), when the torch moves to cut the outside, pause it and you should be able to see the exact G-code that is running... make note of the starting point (line number if viewable), run it until it is finished and ready to move to the next cut, and make note of the end point. Then cut/paste the noted section of code to where you need it. Nice thing is that if all pieces are identical, your code will be exactly the same just repeated 17 times for each piece, so when you find the first section of code, you should be able to easily find all the others. The rectangle should be a very small section of code depending on how technical your edges and leadin's/leadout's are. In total, the outside cut path should only be appx 8 to 15 lines of code per rectangle (it could be much more if you have rounded corners or a zillion reference points in your drawing) but you should be able to move the entire block of code at once and not each individual line one at a time.

You can do the same thing for the holes to make it cut in a more efficient sequence. Just move your torch and if you need to move the order of one hole, note the start and end point in the G-code, cut it out and paste it back in where you want it to be.

It would take a lot of time to do this with the torch, but if you are doing a ton of these it would save much more than that getting it done. I would estimate that if the only way you can do this is by manually editing the G-Code it would take about 2 hours or less to do depending on how the original parts are laid out right now. If you could edit it in your Cad program, it should only take about 5 minutes (or less) to re-arrange all of the cut paths.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

I think you should get your controller computer online and do a remote desktop connection with Gamelord, what are your support rates again Gamelord? 8-)
Duraramp
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Duraramp »

Yes,
I tried editing the code manually then simulating the cuts within the torchmate controller and got a bunch of errors. I did this for a couple of hours and decided there must be an easier way. If you have the software that could do this is 5-10 minutes, could i email you the g-code and u could do the reprogramming for me? Like I said in my initial post, I am happy to compensate you for your time.

Thanks,

Brandon
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

LOL - I don't have a support line...yet...... LOL

Anyways, send me your G-code file and I will see if I can do anything with it.

gamelordatcoxdotnet
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

A bit late however - it will be important to know if your controller uses relative or absolute measurements. Big difference.

Return to “General Discussion”