Mark up

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
pdjcutandfab
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Mark up

Post by pdjcutandfab »

Anyone care to share what the do for markup for art projects? Do you do a different mark up for manufacturing parts? (brackets, plates etc?)

We seem to be great with our metal art but our mfg. quotes come back as high. Just curious if people use a different formula or mark up % for manufacturing work?

Thx.
Deanne Weier
PDJ Cutting and Fabricating
automate
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Mark up

Post by automate »

Pretty much the same for me
Mfg parts I am pricing more hourly than by the art formula I use
Ed
charlie chop
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by charlie chop »

I have my pricing pretty much dialled in now, although getting it there was a lot of time and headaches using excel. I have broken everything down cut time, piercing, cleaning, design and consumables and machine replacement etc. it's very detailed so at any time if any prices change(ie consumables, material) I can just change one cell and everything stays updated. All I need to enter is cut time, cut distance piercing , size and material size and type( all which comes from mach3) and my bottom line price gets spat out.
From there it's multiplied up to get to around competition's prices, this is my trade and wholesale price, this price is given to manufacturers and people that supply own dxf.
Again this then gets multiplied up again to give me my retail price.

I feel it's alot easier for me because at any time I can see exactly what any part of the project was worth and depending on my mood and the client know how much room I have to move in regards of discounts.

I know it's very long winded but in short I charge the most I can, I'm here to make money.
natewelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by natewelding »

I do $120 an hour plus material. The only problem/adjustment that I do is when im making multiple pieces. Say for example I just made manhole covers our of 1/2in steel. To make 1 is costly because of the design time, but making 10 cuts the cost down. Also, do research online before you make a price. There are tons of places to get manhole covers (or whatever you're making) and see what other people are charging. It gives a basis of what to charge. Doesn't always work out in your favor, but its a trial and error thing, just need to get the feel of what a job is actually worth.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”