Ohmic-sensing retaining cap

Arclight Hardware discussion forum.
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Ohmic-sensing retaining cap

Post by abmagrum »

HI,
Does anyone know about the ohmic-sensing retaining cap?

I have a arclight table hypertherm 65 with thc.

Would this be an added benefit ? or not necessary?

I would like to purchase a fine cut consumable kit . one comes with the sensor. one doesn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Al
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
planetxfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Ohmic-sensing retaining cap

Post by planetxfred »

Does your table have a connection to make use of ohmic sensing of the sheet? PlasmaCam DHC2 does, not sure about other brands of tables. If you get the ohmic sensing retaining cap, you are good to go, It will work same as a regular retaining cap so the worst thing would be to have spent a little extra. You need to find out if your table can use the ohmic sensing.
Fred
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Have a word to Arclight, they use C and CNC controls and they now have available an ohmic sensor option, Arclight may also have this ready to run.
Murray
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Thanks, Planetxfred, Muzza

Scott got back to me and I don't need it.

Now I can order my fine cut kit.

THANKS for taking time to help

Al
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Ohmic can speed up the actual events of setting Z home. You can also tweak the distance (XXX * refdistance) in your sheetcam post. Often when I am setting up to cut thin material I will reference Z every 3000mm. Where ohmic shines is on thin materials where the second slide in a Z axis can actually bend the material between the slats. This gives a bad pierce height and will damage consumables. Be aware of this before anyone tells you not to have it. It shines from 20 gauge on depending on the weight of the z axis. Ohmic just touches it to get the 5volts DC or whatever DC current was preset by the mfg. The caveat here is that if you have paint, rust or any other coating ohmic fails and the Z drives the torch into the plate often breaking even a machine torch. Not so much on the machines that use little Z axis motors. CandCNC likes to sell their ohmic sensor with a very high recommendation that you have a secondary backup slide that activates a limit in the ohmic sensor box. This is a safety feature you will not find in 99% of the tables out there that use ohmic sensing. A lot of the servo Z axis system will pop a board or break a machine torch and the secondary slide is the safety.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

BTA Plasma wrote:This is a safety feature you will not find in 99% of the tables out there that use ohmic sensing. A lot of the servo Z axis system will pop a board or break a machine torch and the secondary slide is the safety.
All machines I've seen using ohmic sensing use some sort of backup. I can't imagine anyone designing a system who would not consider ohmic contact failure. Servo systems use a motor stall backup most of the time. That doesn't work on stepper systems, so you see a floating head backup there.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
Vern2
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Vern2 »

Ohmic-Sensing is for getting height of your metal. Once torch touches metal, it moves to pierce height. After pierce, torch moves to cut height. Once cutting starts, torch height control takes over to follow metal contours. See video - Ohmic-Sensing in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKo3_SG ... e=youtu.be

If metal warps, Ohmic-Sensing continues to check height of metal and adjust torch height, at every pierce.

Down Draft table in use.

My down draft table build. http://www.enichesoftware.com/plasma/index.htm

Vern

Return to “Arclight Dynamics”