homing the table

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

homing the table

Post by trucks1948 »

I bought an older practical table without home switches and without any kind of instructions.I got it cutting fine,but now i am putting the mp3000 DTHC from candcnc on it.I think i need to set some limit(home switches) so i can get everything working right.My first question is why do we home the table and what does it really do for us.Second is can anyone tell me where to get good reasonable priced switches?Hope this doesn't sound too dumb,but when you don't know you have to ask someone.thanks Jim
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: homing the table

Post by Scratch »

trucks1948 wrote:I bought an older practical table without home switches and without any kind of instructions.I got it cutting fine,but now i am putting the mp3000 DTHC from candcnc on it.I think i need to set some limit(home switches) so i can get everything working right.My first question is why do we home the table and what does it really do for us.Second is can anyone tell me where to get good reasonable priced switches?Hope this doesn't sound too dumb,but when you don't know you have to ask someone.thanks Jim
Homing the table is good because when you set a piece on the table, let's say in the lower left corner, then you cut it out, when you go to cut the next piece out, the head might already be near the center of the table somewhere and if you start another cut there, it could run into the sides of the table ruining your cut.

I also have a PCNC table. When I got it, they didn't have the home switches in stock, right at that time so they had to send them to me. I started cutting right away though and when they came in, I put them on but actually have never used them. They are kind of cheesy though....

To be honest, I'll never hook them up. I'm so used to moving the head by hand (with the power off) that I always pull the head into a safe position anyways. I wired up a switch right next to the table that cuts power to the servo controller, I shut that off each time I want to move the head to the position I need it.

I'm a small timer so it works for me.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

Homing IS a good thing. It will automatically square up your gantry any time you "home" it. I am assuming your table has two motors on it long axis. A set of limit switch's set for homing will move each motor to its "home" position. You can set 0,0 anywhere on the table. But if your gantry manages to get off a little bit then home it and it will square itself up again.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
J&S
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by J&S »

I have a mp3000 from candcnc and the way it was wired into the card I could only run limits or homes. The limits will put mach3 into reset where as the homes will not. I have played with this alittle but the problem is I need to run a seperate common for my home switches. Right now I am not using the homes and just zero all axis once I have choosed my start point.
Did you also get the DTHC card? I have had trouble with getting that set up properly. I think its and OE problem though
Also you can down load manuals for the mp3000 that might be of some help to you.
Good luck
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

Thank,Ya i got the DTHC mp3000.I think it will be a great unit once i get it set up.Right now mine is cutting the rapid movement line from the start point to the lead in then just sits there and burns till i shut it off.Waiting to hear from Thom at candcnc.My table(an old-2004-practical) never had limit switches on it.I got along pretty good with it by zeroing where i want to start,especially once i figured out if i center my drawing in corel that i could tell where it was on the table a lot easier.Thanks for the help.What settings are you useing with the mp3000,pierce delay,height,cut height ect.Thanks Jim
J&S
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by J&S »

I used the pierce delay and hieght suggested in my plasma cutter manual for what ever material I'm cutting. The rapid hieght I have set at .5"

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”