Donations

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Donations

Post by wickedinhere »

I was wondering if anyone had gotten any business from donations that you gave? I have given around 40 pieces as donations and i have never received any business from them or had anyone say they saw my stuff. When i would give the donation i always ask the people to let me know how much money my piece raised but i never hear from them. I called one of them one time to ask how it went and what my donation went for and she got all mad and told me that i needed to be patient because she was going to call me and let me know how it went. I told her that the event was 5 months ago and that she had plenty of time to call me. I have stopped doing donations lol.
hacnwac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Donations

Post by hacnwac »

I have had good success . I generally hear what the item brings and most times its 4 or 5 times the price I generally sell things for. When the people who weren't lucky enough to get the item at the event come to see me about another one they are more than willing to pay the regular price and maybe a little more :roll: . These are donations of coarse so to anticipate some kind of gain in return kind of takes away from the giving spirit.
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

I donated a duck and cattail plant stand to Ducks Unlimited Local chapter, they got $300 for it! I can't sell the dam things anyhow :? Got a request for another donation from it :? :? Also donated a multi layered school logo plaque to help raise funds for the prom. I do lots of cancer donations too. Never expect anything in return, don't want to either.
That being said, I have thought about donating some wall art to local restaurants and asking to make my business card visibly displayed with the piece in return. I Might try that sometime.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I don't expect anything, but i would think they could at least let me know what it sold for. It seems like in my area as soon as they get the donation i never see or hear from them again. I sometimes wonder if they even mentioned my business name. I have had people getting made at me lately when i tell them we are not doing donations anymore. Whats funny is they are asking for donations for schools and ball teams that aren't even close to me.
GPM870
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by GPM870 »

When I make items for a donation I really don't expect anything in return other than some sort of recognition, not a hip hip hooray, just a simple made by... or donated by... I just do it to help out the organization I donated it to, If I get a job out of it I won't turn it down. Most people will approach me and say "If I don't get your piece what will it cost to have you make me one?" I tell them and they about spit their beer in my face. I know at that point the potential sale is over.
A fundraiser I did a year ago really turned me off to the donation thing. I did a total of 7 pieces (5 of them were a set but they separated them) for a live and silent auction. Using the spread sheet here on the spider I figured out the cost of just the cutting, not paint, grinding, or labor it come to a total of $460.00. Like wickedinhere stated, no one ever got back to me what things went for. I did happen to see what a few of the items were going for on the silent auction. I understand a donation is a donation no matter how much it goes for but seeing a $54.00 item plus a jar candle I purchased for it sell for $5.00 kind of takes the wind out of your sails.
So, after a long winded rant, donations may be a good thing don't count on them for bringing in much for sales.
Gerry
Powermax 85
Sheetcam
Mach 3
4 x 4
burntables table
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

We've been giving close out items for donations.....things that we are going to discontinue because they are slow sellers, for donations...I've never heard back as to how much things brought on auctions, but sometimes we do get a thank you for the donation....that is enough for me.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I heard about a survey that was done on employees. Turned out appreciation actually came out above wages (in general I guess).

I too would feel a bit used if I got no feedback or thanks when I gave my time, effort and money for someone else. I actually think it's a bit of stupidity on the recieving organisations part not to let there contributors feel appreciated in some way. They could at least have an email system where most of the words are already written and they fill in the blanks to let their contributors know how much money their donation raised. I wouldn't give to them again.

I think the donator should expect some small token of appreciation.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

An organization asked for nation, which responded to with a nice piece. I asked for details about where and when the auction would be and said I'd like to be there to see what it went for.

About a week after the event, which I didn't attend, they sent me a bill for $60.00 with a 'thank you' for my support.
It must have been one of those $100/plate affairs - because I got the 'discounted' price. :lol:
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

AnotherDano wrote:An organization asked for nation, which responded to with a nice piece. I asked for details about where and when the auction would be and said I'd like to be there to see what it went for.

About a week after the event, which I didn't attend, they sent me a bill for $60.00 with a 'thank you' for my support.
It must have been one of those $100/plate affairs - because I got the 'discounted' price. :lol:

LOL Dano it seems we have the same luck. :shock:
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I had a guy call me yesterday that i had given several pieces for his event a year ago. He of course wanted more items i told him i was kinda slow at the moment so i wouldn't be able to help him this year. He then tells me that maybe his club members could give me some business so i would be able to donate a few pieces. I told him you should have been promoting my business since i already donated last year. That just tells me right there that they never promoted my business and just want what they can get.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Cheap work & free work will only get you more of the same . . . . :x

My thought on charity is simple, I'll make it, I'll sell it & I will donate to my charity . . .

My brother did iron work for over 20 years. In those 20 years he never learned, he was always a sucker for the "We'll get you some exposure & that will help your business". He never got zip . . . In one case he donated a garden gate ($300.+) for a charity raffle.When they brought it out his metal company name tag was gone & they proudly announced it was donated by one of his competitors.

If you are willing to give away a piece or pieces worth 100s of dollars, why not sell them and BUY some real advertising.

The only free exposure worth a crap is that covered by the media. Want media coverage, go see a local scout group, invite them to your shop, let them cut some items they designed. Make sure the local paper will be there to see them doing it and report on it. Thats smart charity giving . . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Steve,

my experiences in life make me completely agree with what you've said. It also makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Seems most of the time, the nicer you are the more you get crapped on, taken advantage of, betrayed, etc.

I've found that being nice also needs to be accompanied by a lot of mistrust if you are to survive.

I prefer to give money to a charity of my choice. Nobody asked me to do it so I won't get upset when they don't have the courtesy to say thank you. It makes good sense to make paying sales then donate cash.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Here we go again LOL. I had a dog club contact me about doing a donation since i gave last year. I decided to try something different i told the lady if they would buy an item i would donate one item. That was 3 weeks ago and i see where the event has taken place, i guess they didn't bite on my offer. LOL i figured they wouldn't. :D
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

I think that's a dang good idea.

Allen
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I had a lady contact me about a donation go figure LOL i told her if she buys one item i will donate one to her cause. She said that sounds great then said she would get back with me so we shall see, that's been 5 days ago. :roll:
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

wickedinhere wrote:I had a lady contact me about a donation go figure LOL i told her if she buys one item i will donate one to her cause. She said that sounds great then said she would get back with me so we shall see, that's been 5 days ago. :roll:
Based on previous posts, it sounds like they put you on the "sucker" list . . .

I know I have been there with helping neighbors with their projects . . . :x

It never really got around to my turn. I have learned. My thoughts on donations are well noted in several threads . . . :D

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I agree i feel like i am on that sucker list i have 5 people ask for donations in the past 7 days.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Well i have offered the buy one and i will donate one to about 10 people that asked for donations and no takers yet. I get "that sounds good" but no more contact from them. I think once you donate to one cause other people see that and it just snowballs.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Welcome to the new entitlement society . . .

Now days anything can be made better by someone else giving to "their worthy cause" . . .

Everyone parrots "my heart goes out to them" . . . like they really knew then or really cared . . . but it will get you on the news as a do-gooder . . .

If all else fails we can all stand together holding candles crying for "their worthy cause". . . . or taking back the streets is one I have to hear every night on the news . .

I like you live in Louisiana where there is an endless parade of people that do not take care of their homes, famlies or health. And somehow when "bad happens" I am supposed to jump up and throw my wallet open so the "I'm a wonderful person light can shine on me for a milli-second". . .

Been there, done that. Help build homes, pick-up trash, clothing drives. You know what everyone remembers, to come to you over and over. Same organizers for everything always get the limelight . . .

In the Jewish faith there is a simple saying . . . "Charity & kindness to others should start at home" :D

My 2 cents.
Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I had a knock on the door from a group wanting donations for a local swimming pool so I gave them a bucket of water :D
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

^^^^where is the like button??^^^^^^
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
calebmoss
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calebmoss »

I donated two of these too a local fire department with lots of interest to do other work.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

I hope you get many sales from your donation. I still have yet to have anyone take me up on my offer of i donate one you buy one. :shock:

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”