AIR DRYERS Whats the best type of air dryer to use?

All topics related to compressed air supply.
cola78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by cola78 »

LEATHERHANDS
What kind of a air dryer is the best to uses.I have been using my plasma cutter without one for about 6 months now. Everone keeps telling me I need a dryer on it. Thanks for the help.
edwardn
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by edwardn »

Leatherhands

That good advice, i use the same type of filter as you do, i just bought 2 desicant air dryers also but havent set them up yet, one thing that seemed to make a huge difference was i read somewhere to have 25' of air line between the tank and plasma, so i bought a roll of hose and strung it along the wall angling up away from the tank then back over to the filter by the plasma, the difference is night and day and the filter lasts longer.

EDD
porsche
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: AIR DRYERS Whats the best type of air dryer to use?

Post by porsche »

I have been selling plasma cutters and related accessories for over 20 years and have found that for most applications a good in line dryer does an excellent job. My favorit has been the motor guard products. They are affordable and simple to use. You just have to keep in mind that the elements must be changed on a schedule. If you live in Florida you'll be changing them more often than if you live in Arizona. Remember; moisture in the lines is the enemy.

By the way, I just found this site and I think its great. This is my first post.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

In response to Edwardn's post, I have 50 feet of airline between my compressor and a Harbor Freight dessicant dryer, then the original dryer I've used all along, then connected to my plasma machine. The drill when i cut is drain the compressor, then blow out the 50 foot line, then blow out the line to the torch, then cut. Consumables last a lot longer now. You know the price of the hose, the HF dryer was less than $100 I believe.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
Patrick Waite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Patrick Waite »

Hi my name is Patrick. I just bought a new air compresser. Its a 5 hp 60 gallon tank. I installed a sharpe air filter that sit right next to the compresser. Ran 25 feet of hose to the other filter whih is a motor guard air filter that is sitting right next to my plasma cutter. Im not sure what is going on. But im still getting water in the plasma cutter. It shuts done every time I get water in the cutter. I live in NY the weather out here has not been to good. its been a wet year so far. I really dont want to to keep buying filters all the time. There is alot of great ideas on here about removing water from your air line. But dont know what I can do. How many filters are to many for on air line. I could buy or make a cooler for my air line to run thou. Any ideas. Really could use some help here.

Patrick
NY
Patrick
keegan99usa
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

PCP dryers sold on plasma spider

Post by keegan99usa »

I bought one of the blue units for sale on this website. Just want to make sure all is well with it here.
I have an automatic drain on the compressor, that runs a dozen or so times a day to keep the main tank drained. Then its about 40' run to the filter unit, then another 15' to the plasma cutter. I have been checking the petcock on the bottom of the unit quite often and nothing is ever there. I check te filter and it seems like it's not needed either, no water in there. It's been real humid lately, and still nothing. Is my main auto dryer working that good, or is there something I could have hooked up wrong? The plasma seems fine, but most people talk aboout a night and day differance, and I have seen no differance.
Thanks
Keegan
denhart
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by denhart »

I need to buy a dryer. Is anyone else using the one from pcp group that is sold on this site ?? If so how is it working for you ??
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

If you live in an area of high humidity.....a refrigerated dryer is simply the best solution. If you figure the savings in consumables for the plasma, less rework (better cut quality) on your parts.....not to mention the potential for torch body failure....and failure of other air powered shop tools...a refrigerated dryer is a good deal. I hear good feedback on the Harbor Freight refrig. dryer, it sells for around $350. I recently found a US made refrigerated dryer with a precooler (heat exchanger that precools the air before going into the refigerated dryer) and an auto drain for $100. It needed a shot of refrigerant, done locally for $45. Works perfect, no moisture whatsover in my air in NH.....very humid here this year.

It is also important to drain your compressor daily. Yes daily. I installed an auto drain (harbor freight, about $15, works great) on mine.....it drains every time it cycles on and off.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Mountain Home »

I ordered the Harbor Freight refrig. dryer about two months ago, when it arrived I opened the box and it was all bent up
and I started to send it back. I didn't no if it was the shipping or if was sent out that bad. I read the paperwork and it said that it
was warranted for three years so I decided to keep it. So far it seems to work good, no sign of moisture downstream of the dryer.
Randy

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”