Maxpro 200

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
esracerx46
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Maxpro 200

Post by esracerx46 »

Was wondering if anyone out there had a Max Pro 200. I currently have a thermal A-120, and that company has left something to be desired. They've had my powersource since 12/6 and it wont get worked on until January 6. And its still under warranty. Anyways, we are debating whether to go the next step up, or get an Oxy-fuel torch and plasma combo. I have a use for something that will cut 2" mild steel. Wanted to know what angle I'd be looking at. Also, as far as cutting aluminum, would that be air shield air plasma configuration? This Hydef/Oxygen plasma is new to me. I have a Dynatorch XLR-8 table, and if we went with a HyDef machine, would have to make a lot of alterations to make it work because of the High frequency. Is the Oxygen the same way? If so, we'd probably sell the A-120 and table together and upgrade everything. Thanks in advance!
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Maxpro 200

Post by jimcolt »

If you need to pierce 2" steel with a plasma you would need to go with a 400 amp system. The MaxPro200 will pierce to 1-1/4", and can cut steel to about 2/1/2" with an edge start. It does its best job on steel using oxygen, and has tremendous consumable life as compared to any air plasma (air cooled torch). This is not a High Definition class plasma, but it is a high frequency start.

High definition class plasma systems are the Hypertherm HPR130XD, the HPR260XD,the HPR400XD, and the HPR800XD with 130, 260, 400 and 800 amp capabilities. These are all industrial, 100% duty cycle machines.

If you can get away with 1" pierce capacity, take a look at the new Powermax125 plasma on http://www.hypertherm.com. It is the first air plasma with 100% duty cycle through its entire output power range, and can sever to 2-1/4". The 125 has over 40% more cutting power (kilowatts) as compared to your T-D unit. This unit is blowback start....no high frequency.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
esracerx46
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by esracerx46 »

I've looked into the 125, but I don't have 400 readily available. Piercing something 2" thick isn't a necessity. For the amount of 2" plate I'd be cutting, I have no problem mag drilling a hole to edge start. It's really just one job that I need the 2" capacity for, but we do that job relatively frequently and would save time as opposed to someone hand cutting. Overall I'm looking for a machine that will get a better cut quality than a conventional air plasma, and if I do upgrade would like it to be able to cut 2" Steel. I know it is capable of cutting it, but is it practical? Any idea what type of angle I'd be looking at? Besides price, what is the difference between Hydef and Oxygen? Thanks!! By the way, because of you Jim, whatever machine I end up with. It will be a hypertherm. Could only wish Thermal/Victor/Thermadyne had someone as accessible. Same goes for Esab.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The Maxpro200 is an oxygen plasma when used on steel. Our High Definition plasma's are also oxygen plasma's when used for steel. The difference is with the energy density at the arc. The Maxpro has an energy density of about 15,000 amps per square inch when using the oxygen cutting consumables (the same density with each different nozzle). The High Definition plasma's from Hypertherm have an energy density of close to 60,000 amps per square inch, or 4 times the density. This provides for a narrower, higher velocity, stiffer arc.......which improves cut edge angularity, edge smoothness and top edge sharpness, and provides a much wider thickness range.

In simple terms the increased energy density is simply forcing the same amperage through a smaller orifice....which squezzes the arc increasing its velocity and reducing its diameter. This is difficult as it dramatically increases the heat load on the nozzle bore. Hypertherm HPRXD systems use a patented vented nozzle which squeezes the arc a first time internally, then relieves (vents) some ionized gas pressure, then squeezes the arc a second time further increasing density, then uses the shield secondary gas flow to additionally boost the arc squeeze. Rememeber that this plasma arc is approcahing 50,000 degrees fahrenheit!

This is done using a well balanced and timed gas flow control system as well as a perfectly times DC output power using proprietary current and gas pressure up and down ramps at the beginning and end of each cut cycle.....in conjunction with the vented nozzle design.

So that is the difference between a long life oxygen system and a high definition oxygen system. On 1" material expect an average edge angularity of about 1.5 degrees with the MaxPro200 (assuming it is mounted on a machine with excellent motion and especially an accurate height control), and on 1/8" material expect about 5 to 6 degrees with the same system.

The high definition will be closer ti 1 degree average on 1" materials, and in the 2 to 2.4 degree range on 1/8" material. More importantly, the High definition system will provide more consistency throughout the life of its consumables, wher the oxygen plasma will show a bit more angularity dgradation as the consumables wear.

High definition fits in between oxy plasma and oxy laser in terms of edge angularity, however above 3/16" thickness becomes much faster than laser, and on 1" material is as much as 4 to 5 times faster than laser with a smoother edge finish.

The HPR200 can edge start and cut 2" at about 15 inches per minute, faster than oxy-fuel. The 400 amp HPR400XD can pierce 2" steel in 2.5 seconds and can cut it at 30 inches per minute with similar quality to oxy-fuel.

Best regards, Jim Colt

esracerx46 wrote:I've looked into the 125, but I don't have 400 readily available. Piercing something 2" thick isn't a necessity. For the amount of 2" plate I'd be cutting, I have no problem mag drilling a hole to edge start. It's really just one job that I need the 2" capacity for, but we do that job relatively frequently and would save time as opposed to someone hand cutting. Overall I'm looking for a machine that will get a better cut quality than a conventional air plasma, and if I do upgrade would like it to be able to cut 2" Steel. I know it is capable of cutting it, but is it practical? Any idea what type of angle I'd be looking at? Besides price, what is the difference between Hydef and Oxygen? Thanks!! By the way, because of you Jim, whatever machine I end up with. It will be a hypertherm. Could only wish Thermal/Victor/Thermadyne had someone as accessible. Same goes for Esab.
esracerx46
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by esracerx46 »

Thank Jim. I really appreciated the in depth explanation. My only other question is the ease of switching gases for different materials. We're not strictly a production shop so in the matter of an hour I might jump from steel to aluminum to stainless. Thanks I really appreciate it.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”