GoTorch? how do you like it?

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

GoTorch? how do you like it?

Post by gamble »

You guys using a go torch, I can't seem to find very many reviews or videos on it. How do you like it and how does it compare to the torch mate?
I'm less than thrilled with my service and support with torchmate and even less thrilled with their pricing upgrades. It's over $3k for height control for that much I can buy a go torch. I'm looking at possible selling the torchmate in favor of the go torch. I want to get into some more advanced features such as height control which seems reasonably priced.

What would the pros/cons to each unit be? I like the price and THC from go torch as well as the (not sure what it's called) the box with all the controls. Simple things like the ability to jog the torch at a angle or to set your cut height automatically seem to be very appealing. The ability to design/cut in the same program.

What I don't understand also is the different between lead/ball screws, stepper/servo motors, why from what I see there is only 1 motor on the Y axis on the go torch and 2 on the torchmate.

Is there anything i would miss from the torchmate?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: GoTorch? how do you like it?

Post by Shane Warnick »

Just my 2 cents worth, but if you are going to get a go torch don't skimp on the software end of it. Or just get a 4'x4' plasmacam (go torch, plasma cam, samson, all the same thing, just different sizes, all the same software) and be done. I have a samson 5'x10' with advanced software and advanced height control, with a hypertherm cutter and it is great.

Shane
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

gamble wrote:I can't seem to find very many reviews or videos on it
and i will leave it at that :mrgreen:
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I like the design software for the torchmate. I'm comfortable with it. I don't hate it. So I would use that to get started
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
desertland
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by desertland »

Rather than post the same question again I figured I would just dig up this old thread. I caught the comment about not many reviews or videos with the go torch. As of today I found about 9 youtube videos that I have yet to watch. Anyhow, any users of the gotorch on this forum? or you have at least seen one that some one else has? If so, impressed? or did you just chuckle to yourself thinking that your glad you did not go that way?
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

The Go Torch, as well as the PlasmaCam and the Samson 510 tables are affordable three-axis plasma tables. With that said, they do almost NOTHING on their own. You need the DesignEdge software and most of the upgrades. Plan to spend around $8,000.00 for the upgrades you will need.

The Go Torch is expandable, but to USE the expansion, you need to buy the CSB software upgrade (Customizable Size) which is available for PlasmaCam's famous $998.00 price.

You should also buy the advanced height control, advanced machine control, advanced design upgrade, the automatic nesting upgrade. If you are going to run a router, the 3D capability opens up doors!

The machine does have 3D capability, but it is a PLASMA table, so you get to carve in a 2" maximum Z-axis window, and that includes any spoil board you are using, as well as the rapid travel height above the material.

Even with all of this, of you buy the GoTorch or the PlasmaCam DHC2 4x4 table and most of the upgrades, you'll be into a very capable machine for around $20K which is less than the closest competition.

PlasmaCam has its problems. Not so much with the table or the software, but with the company itself, which embraces a very hush-hush approach to customer service. It seems customers are told things on a need-to-know basis only. You will never be told the FULL name of any employee, or even what position they hold in the company, and even the owner's name is some deep, dark secret.

Even with all of this, I must say that the DesignEdge software has a VERY small learning curve. You don't need to know G-Code. You just draw on the table (on the PC) and the machine (with the proper upgrades) cuts out the material effortlessly. The text manipulation features run circles around anything else out there.

I have two Samson 510 tables and a PlasmaCam DHC2 at the moment. I may add more tables later on. I have not YET hooked a plasma cutter to my tables. I am having too much fun using a ROUTER on the table, and carving all sorts of things.

Here is a Flickr.com album and a YouTube LINK with the things I have done with a Samson table, a router, and the software upgrades.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsk7y47ff

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... QEAPS0RuHk

jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The GoTorch is as good as it gets in entry level machines....if you buy the advanced Design Edge, Advanced height control upgrades. These will bring the price to about $7k, worth every penny in my opinion. At this price....it has servo motors (Torchmate Steppers) and ohmic contact. It has the easiest to learn combined CAD / CAM software package, and a great height control. Jim Colt

desertland wrote:Rather than post the same question again I figured I would just dig up this old thread. I caught the comment about not many reviews or videos with the go torch. As of today I found about 9 youtube videos that I have yet to watch. Anyhow, any users of the gotorch on this forum? or you have at least seen one that some one else has? If so, impressed? or did you just chuckle to yourself thinking that your glad you did not go that way?
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Build your own, learn cad, and have a much tougher machine that will allow you to really router/rotary,drill/scannything. All without opening your check book every time.. It will lend itself to upgrades, as you think of them. You can run servos on your home built too..If you feel the need.. It's worth every penny to complete your own custom designed table, because will absolutely like the build toughness if done right.. No drive shaft single motor setup either.. servo or not. Of course if you build your own, you have to buy your own cool-aid.. :lol:
desertland
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by desertland »

Thanks for all the input. I'll admit I don't know what to make of this cloak and dagger stuff with entry level plasma machines. Spent more time on the GoTorch site. They spell it out that they sell one machine and everything else is an expansion. There was some details on the cost based on table size, but it seems that you have to be an owner of one to log in and see the actual prices for all there upgrades?
desertland
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by desertland »

Brand X wrote:Build your own, learn cad, and have a much tougher machine that will allow you to really router/rotary,drill/scannything. All without opening your check book every time.. It will lend itself to upgrades, as you think of them. You can run servos on your home built too..If you feel the need.. It's worth every penny to complete your own custom designed table, because will absolutely like the build toughness if done right.. No drive shaft single motor setup either.. servo or not. Of course if you build your own, you have to buy your own cool-aid.. :lol:
I may still build one, will see how well my low budget mod works for the CNC I have now. If plasma starts to come in handy every week that will be the hint to start building.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The PlasmaCam upgrades are mostly $998 each. you will pay $1995 EACH for the DesignEdge software, the pipe cutter and the Advanced height control
Collins Iron Works
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Collins Iron Works »

Hello Everyone,
I just received a profit-sharing check and want to get my first CNC table. I have a Hypertherm & welders galore. I have been working with metal for 30 years but never got a CNC table. Like many on this forum I have been reading the Go Torch site. You guys are right about "need to know" info. I requested some answers on their "Contact Us" page. Nothing yet. Maybe someone here could answer my few "pre-purchase" questions.

From what I can tell:
• The DesignEdge software is included but they recommend an upgrade
• Some art disk samples are included but they recommend more (I don't think any of this I will need)
• Even though the auto-height control is highly recommended you can operate without it (I use mainly clean, flat ¼ inch)
• What is the cost of the auto-height control?

Once this CNC starts paying for itself (mainly in time savings, I manually cut out too many simple parts) I can get the height control.

Thanks Everyone.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Is there a standard height control and advanced height control?

I'm considering selling my torchmate in summer....curious if i should go with a gotorch/plasma cam? Only downside is see is no water table.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yes. They sell their BASIC Height Control (HCB) for $998.00 and the "Height Control Upgrade" (HCU) for $998.00 for those who already HAVE the BASIC height control. They also sell the Advanced Height Control (HCA) as a single upgrade for $1,996.00

I believe that the (HCA) feature is one that you will be GLAD you purchased!
desertland
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by desertland »

Joe Jones wrote:Yes. They sell their BASIC Height Control (HCB) for $998.00 and the "Height Control Upgrade" (HCU) for $998.00 for those who already HAVE the BASIC height control. They also sell the Advanced Height Control (HCA) as a single upgrade for $1,996.00

I believe that the (HCA) feature is one that you will be GLAD you purchased!
what is the difference in HCB vs HCA for double the money?
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Don't care how flat your steel is, a table without a height control is a nightmare and will just destroy consumables and make lots of scrap.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

And....the advanced height control provides for ohmic contact, sample and hold arc voltage control (no messing with setting an arc voltage and constantly adjusting).....and it is around a $1900 upgrade.

Buy an industrial height control with sample and hold functions......they start at $12,000. Look up the Hypertherm Sensor height control.

Upgrade a Torchmate system to height control.....$4200. No ohmic sensing, no corner antidive function, no sample and hold.

The Plasmacam height control is one of the best in the industry, and at one of the lowest prices. Trust me...I have worked with many of them!

If it seems too expensive...you have the choice of not buying it. Without it....over time, you will buy a lot more consumables, scrap a lot more parts, and waste a lot of time. That is all money.

Jim Colt
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I agree. Sometimes I burn up consumables really quick.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
desertland
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by desertland »

jimcolt wrote: If it seems too expensive...you have the choice of not buying it. Without it....over time, you will buy a lot more consumables, scrap a lot more parts, and waste a lot of time. That is all money.

Jim Colt
Being cheap comes with a price all it's own. Went high end ( for a DIY kit ) on my CNC router and have never regretted it. For me, plasma is just a hobby project right now. If I can figure out some thing that works for the 3 or 4 projects I may have over the next year then great. If not, I can just pay the local metal shop there min. set up fee and be happy.

I spent part of last weekend piercing 250 holes with my little plasma cutter. I kept thinking that no matter how cheap a set up I made ( no DTHC ) the overall consistency of the holes and hole placement would still be better than doing by hand.

If I was doing plasma cutting work for a living then it would be well worth starting over and getting all the right stuff for the job.
PlasmaMac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by PlasmaMac »

Go torch is an excellent option for those with limited funds and or lack of space. Considering one for its mobility is also attractive.. Folks with cash flow problems can get their foot in the door with one of these machines for very little money. Essentially. it is made to be as affordable as possible & indeed Not a bad price for something that is entry level and servo driven. They are sold online and come with limited (but upgradable) software. You don't really need to spend 8K additional to have a functional machine, you can get some really great features on it for much less than that and have a perfectly fine machine.

My experience with plasmacam has always been A+ and we have always received a highly distinguished level of service and support from plasmacam techs.

Return to “PlasmaCam, Samson, & Go Torch Forum”