Magnetic breakaway and settings

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Magnetic breakaway and settings

Post by grindergary »

I have CandCNC controller and put a new magnetic breakaway on my table.

I am wondering if I should set the stop on fault to active on the cut profile. I am wondering if it will lose position if I should have a crash and the torch mount breaks away like it is supposed to do.

TIA

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Magnetic breakaway and settings

Post by tcaudle »

A torch crash does not generate a fault. Faults are from volts being (way) out of spec which MIGHT happen when you torch falls off and the arc goes away and the votls drop to zero BUT that would not be instant.

Torchs falling ff are E_STOP events and you won't keep position. If you have homes you will have to note where you are in G-Code and then re-zero XY and Z and execute a "set next line " after you roll back through the code to a spot before the crash
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I have a magnetic breakaway and not too much of a fan of it... I wouldn't be surprised if one day I fried my gantry or side rails... or something worse because it can keep on shooting out an arc for quite some time until I get to it.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Metriccar wrote:I have a magnetic breakaway and not too much of a fan of it... I wouldn't be surprised if one day I fried my gantry or side rails... or something worse because it can keep on shooting out an arc for quite some time until I get to it.
This is why I come to this forum; to hear all of the experiences good and bad. I've been thinking about adding one, but under careful consideration, a breakaway, at least for me, might lead to a false sense of safety and to believing I can walk away from the table while in operation. What's the argument from someone that has one to definitely get it in spite of this belief?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

Thanks for the replies.

I set up the break away because I had the table running. Cut 6 sheets no problem. It was getting late on the last sheet and I figured I would go start the truck as it was cold and snowing. When I came back in, like less than a minute, the torch dropped in a hole and the gantry kept right on moving. Well tried to. It snapped the head off
IMG_0939.JPG
So that is why I an going to try the break away. Now to learn to trust the table again. Maybe. :lol:

Gary

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

I wouldn't have a table without one. Just yesterday we were cutting 1/2" plate and for reasons unknown the torch took a dive into the plate two different times and each time I figured that magnetic mount saved me some money. Even though it didn't stop immediately, it didn't mess up the cut so all I had to do was put it back on and start the cut again. We never leave the table while it's cutting for that reason. Law of averages...we can stand by it for hours and it'll cut perfectly but leave it alone and crash. Kinda' like a little kid. So my wife or I always stays close.

I remember reading about someone adding a limit switch to their breakaway to stop the machine. Now that'd be the berries.

Allen
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I remember reading about someone adding a limit switch to their breakaway to stop the machine. Now that'd be the berries.
That is exactly how mine is set up from LDR. See limit switch at top of break away plate in photo.

Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

For the switch I have read hook up to the Z home, at this point it gives a e stop when a open happens. I thought the switch was the second part of a touch height start ? I have a ways to go but still moving forward, sometimes!
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

tnbndr wrote:
That is exactly how mine is set up from LDR. See limit switch at top of break away plate in photo.
i should look into doing this also
estop a nc switch
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
TJS

Post by TJS »

I just got through making a breakaway set up see it in my build (link on signature). I have also wondered how to get the system into E-stop mode when the torch pops off. I am now going to add a mini momentary switch on a bracket that will reside on the metal permanent part of the breakaway set up I made. Then add a tab to the top edge of the aluminum plate where the actual torch mounts. Wish I could have originally made the tab for this on the machined aluminum plate, but this is kind of an after thought. Hopefully it will not look to cobbled when I am done. I have to play around with a couple designs in my head.
T.J.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I have been using a homemade mag breakaway since building the table 2yrs ago now, torch is still the same one after all the learning and silly mistakes (which still do happen) so I would say it's worth it.

I don't have any home or limit switches on X, Y or the Z, just the floating head switch, seem to manage just fine, come up against the hard stops a few times but not very often now.

I usually get to the keyboard quick enough if something goes wrong to stop things, a lot of the time the torch will clip back into position with the magnets and carry on cutting from a small tip up, sometimes get away with it as well!

To date I think it's only completely dislocated the torch from the gantry once.

I normally have 'Torch off on arc loss' ticked, it doesn't run for long before shutting off, in fact I trim off sheets using that and the jog button,,,,edge start the cut at cut height, thc kicks in after chosen delay,,,,run off sheet edge and torch shuts off.

I never loose position, I would be using the escape key in emergency as well (no e stop switch on mine :o )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRi8LzY4aTg

I just used these brackets for the torch holder,,,,perfect fit on the Powermax 45 torch.

Bearing CNC Aluminum SK-35 35mm Rail Linear Motion Shaft Support Series Slide
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

<I>I normally have 'Torch off on arc loss' ticked, it doesn't run for long before shutting off</I>

Is that in Mach 3? I'll have to see if Plasmacam has something similar.

I went to a magnetic breakaway on a Plasmacam, the magnet is not particularly strong. It WILL come off every once in a while, and I'll be a good 20 feet away from the machine and have to go over to it, the gantry will be moving still, and that torch just blasting away still rolling around on the table. Not a good thing at all.

For the Plasmacam, the carriage is held on with springs, so it really doesn't need a magnetic breakaway all that much... but I did not like the machine torch mount they offer.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Sorry that's in Sheetcam, Candcnc's addition as well.
I normally have 'Torch off on arc loss' ticked, it doesn't run for long before shutting off</I>

Is that in Mach 3? I'll have to see if Plasmacam has something similar
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
suttoncnc
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by suttoncnc »

When I made mine (break-away) I set it up to have a micro-switch in series with the e-stop circuit. When the torch falls off it stops motion and shuts off the torch. This brings up and interesting question-probably for Tom? Because the steppers remain powered during an e-stop with the DTHCII does Mach actually lose any steps and or position? My old control system would disable the motor coils and the motors would lose there holding torque, but the new does not. I have always re-homed the system after an e-stop but now I wonder do I have to? Sorry for the hi-jack.

Scott
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Plasma cutting on a cnc machine will eventually result in some collisions with the material being cut....or even with edges of the cutting table, tools left on the table, etc. It is inevitable. It is relatively easy to bend, break or crack the torch if it is rigidly mounted, and that will shut you down and cost money.

Torch breakaways are definitely a money and time saver in my book. It allows for quick consumable changes and end of torch inspection (necessary) without unclamping or unbolting a rigid mounted torch.

It is relatively easy to wire in some sort of stop switch to a breakaway that can stop the plasma arc, which on many machines will immediately stop motion as well. I strongly suggest the breakaway and a stop switch on every cnc plasma machine.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
East German

Post by East German »

Hallo

I have a microswitch on the Magnetic breakaway switch make in Mach pauses.
This is better than reset. No step error

Regards Peter
Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
TJS

Post by TJS »

East German wrote:Hallo

I have a microswitch on the Magnetic breakaway switch make in Mach pauses.
This is better than reset. No step error

Regards Peter
East German,
Can you post pics of that set up with the micro switch please.
Thanks.
T.J.
East German

Post by East German »

Hallo TJ

I'm doing morning pictures.
have to work today :twisted:

Regards Peter

MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
East German

Post by East German »

Hallo,

Port& Pins Input Signal........OEM Trig......select a free Input Pin (see Pic)

Config....System Hotkeys.....External button..........1001 Pauses
1000 Start
1007 zero All
1021 Reset
160 Regen Toolpath

Hope This Helps!

Regards Peter

MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Peter, that's a really smart way to take advantage of the software tool most of us use with Sheetcam. Thanks for sharing this solution.

I just upgraded my Bladerunner DTHC II to the latest DTHC IV and actually started to use this feature. It seemed to be working well, but I guess I didn't have the voltage set correctly and the TM45 Machine Torch dived&dragged.

I was not happy to see this happen!

SO... now I have to make a magnetic breakaway with a microswitch shutoff. I think this is only a $60 mistake (for the outer sleeve housing) so I guess I got away semi-cheap. Mike G (OldSarge), I'm definitely copying your design. Thanks for sharing this really well designed setup with us on YouTube
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

That's a sickener!
You look to have the torch mounted quite high up, maybe mounting with the z lower down might help a little also, breakaway is the answer thoug.
I bet you could re-use the larger part of the outer tube, I know I looked inside once and thought I could get away with cutting the outer tube in half and shortening the torch.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

SeanP wrote:That's a sickener!
You look to have the torch mounted quite high up, maybe mounting with the z lower down might help a little also, breakaway is the answer thoug.
I bet you could re-use the larger part of the outer tube, I know I looked inside once and thought I could get away with cutting the outer tube in half and shortening the torch.
Yeah, I inspected the tube as well and where it cracked might have saved the rest of the important bits of the torch. All that was near was a few wires and an air hose which were left unscathed. I've already ordered a new tube, so I'll have the bad one with which to possibly experiment on shortening it.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

You can take a longer tube and cut it exactly in half and make a mini machine torch. You just have to drill 3 holes on the cut end and you're back in business. I did this on my HT45 machine torch and everything fit back together just fine.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

WyoGreen wrote:You can take a longer tube and cut it exactly in half and make a mini machine torch. You just have to drill 3 holes on the cut end and you're back in business. I did this on my HT45 machine torch and everything fit back together just fine.

Steve
You didn't have to shorten any of the internal parts like the air line??
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

WyoGreen wrote:You can take a longer tube and cut it exactly in half and make a mini machine torch. You just have to drill 3 holes on the cut end and you're back in business. I did this on my HT45 machine torch and everything fit back together just fine.

Steve
With the Feather touch sensor nearby is this this best way to wire it? Pull the jumper and its a prewired limit switch, right?
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”