Mounting Hand held torches

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Mounting Hand held torches

Post by trucks1948 »

I would like to try mounting my hand held torch on my machine in a different way.Does anyone have a mounting that they like that works well for them?Im using a T60 torch on a hypertherm 1000.When i bought this old table it came with a u bolt over the top of the plastic body of the torch holding it down.Now i'm having some problems burning up the torch head and was wondering if my mount has something to do with it.Ant ideas will be appeciatted Thanks Jim
trucks1948

Re: Hand held torches

Post by trucks1948 »

Hypertherm powermax 1000
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

I think he means what brand of table do you have? Can you post a pic of your present torch holder?
Loyd
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
trucks1948

Post by trucks1948 »

Ya ill get some pics soon.Thanks Jim
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The best way to mount a torch on a machine is by using a machine torch! Attached are pics of my Powermax45 torch on a PlasmaCam table. With a hand torch....there is no good way to ensure that the torch consumables are perpendicular to the plate....which is necessary for uniformity in cut edge squareness. If you must use a hand torch, ensure that there is no electrical contact from any metal parts of your machine to any metalic parts of the torch retaining cap, shield, nozzle, or ohmic contact connection.

Jim Colt
trucks1948 wrote:I would like to try mounting my hand held torch on my machine in a different way.Does anyone have a mounting that they like that works well for them?Im using a T60 torch on a hypertherm 1000.When i bought this old table it came with a u bolt over the top of the plastic body of the torch holding it down.Now i'm having some problems burning up the torch head and was wondering if my mount has something to do with it.Ant ideas will be appeciatted Thanks Jim
PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg
PlasmaCambuild 016.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

precision
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by precision »

hi jim,
Sometimes simple works really good. My "hand torch",(also hypertherm 1000) is held by a simple plastic mount that i made. It is 1" thick HDPE plastic with a slip fit hole that the torch slides into. It has the advantage of being a slightly loose fit, so if the torch should "crash" into the material, or a tip-up piece of cutout hits the torch, it slides up in the holder and does not damage the torch. Also makes it very easy to set "0" Z height. Simply run the torch down close, then slide the torch down in the holder until it contacts the plate, and zero the z height. Have been cutting large pieces of 1/4" and 3/8" plate with long cut times, and never melted it. been using it for 3 years now.
Good luck, and think simple.
Mike

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”