Running a 30 amp tip on a 45 Hypertherm

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Fastyankee13
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Running a 30 amp tip on a 45 Hypertherm

Post by Fastyankee13 »

I have a Torchmate table with a 45 Hyperthyrm. I want to run a30 amp tip and I have tried cutting with the 30 amp. The problem with the 30 amp
they do not make a Ohmic cap. My machine uses the Ohmic cap to tell it the top of the material. I can set the top of the material manually but when I do it seems like it crashes in to the material to much. My machine doesn't use the Ohmic to maintain proper height control so why is it crashing. I cut a lot of 16 gauge and the material will warp some while I'm cutting. I also want to cut corrugated material. I also was wondering how much finer is the 30 A is the juice worth the squeeze.

I'm green to the plasma.

Thanks, you all are awesome artisans!
AJ
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Running a 30 amp tip on a 45 Hypertherm

Post by acourtjester »

First thing a ohmic sensor does not maintain any thing after is finds the top of the metal. You do not say you have torch height electronics. That is what maintains the correct height as the torch is moving around cutting.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

First.....assuming you mean that you are using the 30 amp nozzle (there is no part listed in the Hypertherm manual called a tip) and associated T30 consumables. You can easily make your own ohmic sensor......a probe or stiff piece of copper wire that extends slightly below the 30 amp nozzle, clamps to the plastic retaining cap and has a wire terminal to connect the ohmic sensing wire to.
Here is a pic of one that another customer made....works well. In reality....with the Powermax45 shielded consumables you will get better edge quality on all thicknesses....just a .006" wider cut kerf. This pic is of a different torch.....however with the T30 parts you can hoseclamp a stiff wire right on the plastic retaining cap to do the same thing.
home made ohmic.jpg
home made ohmic.jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Jim Colt Hypertherm
Fastyankee13
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee13 »

Thank you For your advice.
I have height control on my machine. What was confusing me is why it matters whether or not I use ohmic . the torch should maintain proper distance from the material through voltage. It definitely runs better with Ohmic. Am I correct on this.
Also I tried making a ohmic cap but my 30a is all metal the retaining cap is not plastic like the 45a . I was thinking of using a stiff piece of brazing rod and making a probe. It seems my height control is having issues because it is crashing in to the material but doesn't when I'm running ohmic.

AJ
Fastyankee13
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee13 »

Thank you For your advice.
I have height control on my machine. What was confusing me is why it matters whether or not I use ohmic . the torch should maintain proper distance from the material through voltage. It definitely runs better with Ohmic. Am I correct on this.
Also I tried making a ohmic cap but my 30a is all metal the retaining cap is not plastic like the 45a . I was thinking of using a stiff piece of brazing rod and making a probe. It seems my height control is having issues because it is crashing in to the material but doesn't when I'm running ohmic.

AJ
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Ohmic is only for the initial height sensing, once that is done the only thing ohmic does is sense material for crashes or contact. After the initial sensing arc voltage feedback generally determines and maintains cut height and adjusts according to chosen settings on entry level type machines.
Murray
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

What do guys with other plasma cutters do for ohmic ? I have only seen them for hypertherm
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

I never had the need to use one yet but..

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/t ... lip-9-8224
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Are you using a delay on the THC to allow the voltage to stabilize before it starts to control the torch movement.
I use a 1.5 sec delay after the torch is lit and moving before the THC reacts to the voltage. That way the torch is at cutting height for 1.5 seconds away from the pierce and is moving at cut speed.
This is part of the post processor/tool setup in SheetCam
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The retaining cap (220483) for the 30 amp (T30) consumables that can be used on a Powermax45 is a black plastic....except for the very bottom part. It is not all metal.....it is very easy to install a hoseclamp and a stiff piece of copper wire that will work as an ohmic sensor...many have done so.
Ohmic is the most accurate method of sensing pierce height....which is critical. Using torque sensing will deflect the material...especially thinner materials....and will cause the torch to pierce too close....damaging the nozzle orifice. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Pic of consumables from the operators manual is below:

30amp consumables.png
30amp consumables.png (48.36 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Fastyankee13 wrote:Thank you For your advice.

AJ
Fastyankee13
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fastyankee13 »

Thank you I thought the black part was metal. I tried the hose clamp deal and it didn't wok. This is the reason I thought it was all metal.
I will try it again.

AJ

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”