HT plasma sutting down

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

HT plasma sutting down

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I have been dealing with this for some time but now I have to deal with it. I have a HT 1000 and it randomly shows a power fault on the front panel which causes a arc fault in mach 3. I have noticed that it usually happens when the AC in the house is on and the air compressor fires up(most of the shop light flicker at this time as well). Is there a better way to isolate the circuit for the plasma cutter so I don't have such a drop in voltage? I have a 200 amp supply to the house and 100 amps to the shop.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HT plasma sutting down

Post by jimcolt »

Your voltage drop must be pretty severe as the Powermax1000 is good to as low as 190 VAC. I would look for a loose connection somewhere in your main input (house or shop) wiring.....could be a corroded connection, especially if the wiring is aluminum. Another thing.....is your compressor a 120 volt or 220 volt unit? If it is 120, you could switch it to the other 120 volt leg in your main power distribution box to help balance the load.....also ensure that the compressor unloader valve (relives air pressure on the compressor for easier starting) is operating correctly. When the compressor cycles off...you should hear air bleeding off on the compressor.

Jim Colt
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: HT plasma sutting down

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Quick update for those wondering I went through my entire electrical system and tightened every lug on every breaker and hard point. I did find some loose connections from the original installer and seems to have solved the light dimming problems when large loads are applied to the system. I will have to run the cnc a few times to see if it did the trick. Jim Thanks for the input

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”