Anything to gain with machine torch?

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
02RedWS6TA
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Anything to gain with machine torch?

Post by 02RedWS6TA »

I've been running my 5x10 precision plasma/candcnc table for close to 3? Years now. I've used a hand torch since day one and have been getting better and better results since starting. Using a hypertherm pm45 since day one.

I'm ready to go to the next step which would be a machine torch but wondered if I will see any benefit from it? I'd guess I've cut well over 100 4x8/5x10 sheets now and still get spots with squiggly lines where the back of the torch bounces and I've never been able to get rid of it. My only solution I can see to it is the machine torch but wanted to ask if there are other areas I'd see improvement?

Has anyone went from the hand torch to a machine and been happier? It's about a $900 investment. Also, it's between the torch and a tig welder so trying to spend the money wisely.

Thanks
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Anything to gain with machine torch?

Post by sphurley »

My first question is where are you at that it's $900.00? Getting the torch perpendicular to the table is a lot easier with a machine torch. I breakaway mount is available (that might be your $900 now that I put some thought into it) If you want to go with a feather/ohmic sensor you can.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
02RedWS6TA
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 02RedWS6TA »

Torch plus breakaway mount.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

There may be some used ones coming available as guys upgrade to the new Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP.
I am considering upgrading but it may be next year some time.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

A machine torch should be easier to set up and square. As far as cut quality I would say there should be no difference in a properly set up hand torch versus an equal properly set up machine torch. I'm sure if Jim Colt sees this post he can get you a definite answer.
Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Dennis (tnbndr)

Dont say things like that :( I am really hoping the the machine torch I have will still fit/work with the 45XP :!:

I have been considering the purchase of another 45 for a while as my wife keeps using the hand torch for her art work etc.
So my plan was to now go for the new 45XP and she can use the 45 all to herself ;)

Just waiting to get the pro's and con's answer from Mr Colt regarding the consumables etc and if the existing CandCNC HyT Connect RS485 SIM KIT B without Hub and software operates with the new 45XP as it does with the larger machines
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Bobcat320

Post by Bobcat320 »

I converted to a machine torch on my 65XP a year ago, best thing I ever did! Granted my hand torch was on my Miller Spectrum 375, but still the machine torch cuts much better in my opinion and it is a lot easier to change consumables.
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

I am really hoping the the machine torch I have will still fit/work with the 45XP
I think the video I watched states that you need a Duramax torch for the 45XP. It would be nice if the Powermax hand torch would still work with the 45XP though.
Let us know what you find out.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Answers!

1. The new Powermax45 XP uses a different torch as compared to the original Powermax45. You can use the standard Duramax torches (as used on the Powermax65, 85 and 105) on the 45 XP, but not the original Powermax45 torch. The Duramax torch was designed as an improvement over the original 45 torch...it eliminates the spring loaded plunger, it has better reliability, better cut quality, faster cut speeds.

2. The Powermax45 XP has an optional CPC port with exactly the same interface connections as a Powermax65, 85, 105 and 125 systems. Similar to the original Powermax45 except the XP version has 5 different settable voltage divider ranges....so it will work with most cnc machines and height control systems around the world.

3. The Powermax45 XP also has the same (optional) Serial RS485 communication port as the Powermax65, 85, 105 and 125 systems. I believe it will operate with the CandCNC interface, though it is possible that the CadnCNC may need some slight mods.....we are reviewing that now with them.

4. Machine torches. a. Easier to mount and maintain perpendicularity to the material than a hand torch. b. Easier to remove and check / replace consumables as compared to a hand torch. c. Machine torches are designed to handle higher levels of reflected heat at higher duty cycles as compared to a hand torch. d. because of the advantages....you will produce more parts of higher quality in a shorter period of time...and the machine torch will prove to be a better value (lower cost of ownership)

Keep in mind that if you currently use a Hypertherm hand torch on a cnc machine...that the electrical interface for the start signal is different. A hand torch is designed to fire from its trigger switch (because it is a hand torch!).....so when it was installed on the CNC someone had to modify the wiring....which likely affected the way the safety trigger onterlock works. This wiring will not work with a machine torch in most cases. With a machine torch the start signal must be done through the appropriate connections on the CPC interface connector.

I have both a 45 XP and an original 45 in my shop.....I will go out in a few minutes and see if the original 45 hand torch will operate on the 45....and I will come back and edit this post with the answer. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Update: Yes, the original Powermax45 hand torch does operate on the New Powermax45 XP. I suspect it should perform similar on both systems. Remember, the original 45 torch uses different consumables....so will not be able to use the Finecut consumables or the new marking, gouging and Flushcut consumables that are available for the Powermax45 XP torch and the Duramax torch. Jim Colt
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

Yes, the original Powermax45 hand torch does operate on the New Powermax45 XP. I suspect it should perform similar on both systems.
That is great news. I can update the unit and machine torch but keep the old hand torch for cutting skeletons, etc.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Miller 215 MultiMatic
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I personally detest using the hand torch on my table, and the reason is tip ups.

The hand torch holder is lower to the table and takes up more area (hitting nearby tip ups). Then there's the long horizontal handle and the accompanying loop of cable sticking out.

A machine torch on the other hand is effectively way less obtrusive. It can be clamped higher up and all you have is the 35mm vertical "barrel" of the torch, much much better for keeping out of the road of tip ups. So long as you arrange your paths to move AWAY from a newly cut part, a machine torch is much less likely to hit a tip up during a nearby following cut. It's also simpler to clamp a machine torch.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
shiner2001
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by shiner2001 »

Although I've never used a hand torch on my table, I can't imagine running my shop without having BOTH torches. Never having to unmount to either cut up the leftovers or to use by hand off of the table is great. It'd be like only having one grinder and having to switch discs each time you wanted a different one.
Derek
Precision Plasma LD 4x8
CandCNC BladeRunner EtherCut Mark IV
HT PM 45
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I used a hand torch with Torchmate for 4 years before switching a year or so ago. I would never go back to a hand held, but I also upgraded to a Hypotherm 45 The biggest thing was consumables. I was going through a ton with the handheld, now they last forever.
stonebriar
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by stonebriar »

Jim,

I have the old pm45 with the machine torch. Can I buy a Machine torch for the pm 45 that can use the fine cut consumables?

Thanks,

Rick

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”