Compressor pony tank question

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Holiday13
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Compressor pony tank question

Post by Holiday13 »

Hi, first time poster long time lurker, getting ready to jump into CNC plasma. Question I have is with compressor and shop lay out.

From where I have my compressor to where my table will be in the shop I am going to have about a 100' run of piping. I have an old compressor tank where the pump and motor blew. I was thinking about running the line from the main compressor into the spare tank (which will sit next to my table & next to my plasma machine) then out of the spare tank to my drier then to the cutter. My hope is between catching most of the moisture in the primary tank, then a second catch in the secondary tank then the drier I am hoping to eliminate almost all the moisture in the system plus avoid any lag in volume over that long of a pipe run.

Am I over thinking this whole thing as an obvious newbie, which I have a tendency to do! If I didn't already have the spare tank I probably wouldn't give it as much thought.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Compressor pony tank question

Post by plasmanewbie »

It's not a bad idea at all. It would help to trap more moisture which is always a good thing and lots of air volume!
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Good plan
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Are you guys running an automatic tank drain? Set it and forget it:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
Holiday13
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Holiday13 »

Thanks for the backup, and I'm sure I'll be asking more questions!
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:23 pm Are you guys running an automatic tank drain? Set it and forget it:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
I've got one of these on order. Did you just plug it straight into mains power or did you wire it in to the compressor motor wiring?
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I have it on an illuminated wall switch so I can flip it off at night. first thing in the am I trip it a couple of times to purge the condensation then leave it on. The timer takes over from there, I am in a dry climate and have it set at 45 minute cycles with an on time of about 5 seconds. I plumbed the drain outside of the building. It Scares the crap out of wondering animals :lol:

Pic of the 20HP / 3 phase AC the switch is tied into line lugs at the mag switch :
P6130001 LR.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”