newbee looking for help

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
garymetalwood
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

newbee looking for help

Post by garymetalwood »

Hi, picked up a 4X8 sidekick shopsabre, 3.5 router, and a hypertherm 45xp all new
been using router for a year aspire v9, somewhat proficient,, Now just starting the plasma part ha,, I welded for 15 years, sanitary - tig 6G s/s
this plasma seems harder than i thought, ha
last week made a moose project turned out good minus the li/lo on lines,,, ha
someone mentioned cut under water, did this for next two projects and had problems with them and every since,,, not sure if first project was a fluke or i somehow messed up hypertherm machine or ?
problem is after starting program, torch will touch off, (pick up) cut, stop, pick up, move, touch off and usually after second or third touch off will either go deeper (btm out) and or drag turning handle sideways., one time went far enough to remove magnetic torch holder from bridge head
I mentioned this to mfg and they said add 10 more volts to thc,,,,,,made no difference
I am cutting .06thk mild steel
i have 3 hrs on machine/software for the plasma,,,,,,,, newbee,,,,,,
any help appreciated
thank you
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: newbee looking for help

Post by acourtjester »

First of all do not use the torch under-water, Plasma will not be harder after you get a few basic functions cleared up. Are you using a version of Mach 3 to operate the table and SheetCam for the G-code generation? There may be some setup conditions in SheetCam and the post processor you are using that may not be for your table. After looking at their web page I don't think you are so help may need to come from members that use that table.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
garymetalwood
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by garymetalwood »

thank u for your response, yes i recently read not for underwater use. using win cnc, and enroute 6 fab. standard xp45 consumables
gotten n touch with tech support he helped me out. seems i messed up the consumables thus thc not activating. working ok now but slag on btm. Just picked up some FC parts and going to try them. shopsabre tech very helpful
thks
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Having dross in the bottom is usually caused by to slow a cutting speed. It may help to do some test cutting for each thickness of metal you want to cut. Just make G-code with straight lines like 5 inches long and change the speed until you get good results and document for each routine. The Manual from hypertherm has charts showing a close starting point
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
garymetalwood
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by garymetalwood »

thks for the response, will do this next time i get on, currently ran 7 projects with the FC consumables and what a difference, still some dross
but not like the other, S.Sabre has presets for the mat thkness and type, will run some lines. Seems to me it is moving very fast,

thanks again
CEMClo
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by CEMClo »

Coat EVERYTHING in anti-spatter.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”