Hello from DC, new to plasma

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
phy6
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello from DC, new to plasma

Post by phy6 »

Hi, I just got into plasma cutting to make automotive parts for a hobby/small business. This year I bought a Everlast PowerPlasma 80s and a Premier Plasma 4x8 table. I'm just now getting it set up and dialed in, so I figured I'd finally join this forum so I can view the pictures. I've been lurking here enough to know there was good information, and it helped me choose the parts I did.

I'm mainly interested in making suspension brackets, chassis setup jigs, truck bumpers and utility trailer brackets, welding gussets, etc. I use Fusion360 for other types of work and I just went through the sheetmetal tutorials. I'm not really interested in the sign/artsy business, but there's a lot I can learn from the types of thin cuts those people have to make.

Right now I'm looking for help with my sheetcam setup to get the plunge delay correct. I've literally only made a few test pieces so far, and I'll soon run out of scraps to test with and I'll need to start buying sheets. So I'll probably want to see how home shops deal with large sheet metal storage and scrap disposal.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from DC, new to plasma

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome aboard, The simple way is to download the manual from Hypertherm PM65 and their chart shows most of what you need for Pierce height and Pierce delay for different metal thickness along with cutting speeds, You did not say if you had a THC or not very helpful to have one and also a ohmic sensor.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Hello from DC, new to plasma

Post by Rodw »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:54 pm Welcome aboard, The simple way is to download the manual from Hypertherm PM65 and their chart shows most of what you need for Pierce height and Pierce delay for different metal thickness along with cutting speeds, You did not say if you had a THC or not very helpful to have one and also a ohmic sensor.
The Hypertherm cut charts won't really be helpful for the everlast which in my experience with the 50s is a lot slower. Try a cut height of 1.7-1.8mm which worked for me but you will need to dial in speeds for each material thickness based on trial and error.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”