Complete newbie...

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Ajgaffey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Complete newbie...

Post by Ajgaffey »

I’ve wanted a plasma table for a long time and I finally picked one up! I got a older Baileigh pt-44, hypertherm 45 and Ucancam V11 software. I’ve never done any type of cad/cam design so I’m definitely feeling overwhelmed. Kinda second guessing my purchase lol. Not really sure where to start learning the software other than watching YouTube videos. Most of what I’m finding isn’t much help since a lot of what I’m finding for Ucancam is for CNC mills. Either way I’m going to start looking at other software options that might be a little more user friendly for a complete newbie. If anyone has suggestions on software that’s easier to start with I’d definitely appreciate it. So far from what I’ve seen on this forum is gonna be a big help and the right place to start figuring this stuff out!
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Complete newbie...

Post by robertspark »

Plasma = sheetcam period (ok on second thoughts maybe I'm being biased.... It has a lot of users and is not tied to motion control software plus appears to be available at a reasonable price)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Complete newbie...

Post by acourtjester »

I Second the SheetCam choice, one thing you will need to find out is if SheetCam supports the system you have. The attached screenshot show 3 different Baileigh post processors. This means you can import DFX or SVG file formats into SheetCam and it will produce a G-code you can use on your table. It has been said Les at SheetCam has built custom post processors for table not listed, but you would need to contact him/SheetCam to find out for sure.
There are many programs that output DXF or SVG file formats, it would depend on what type of drawing you want to create or buy to use. For the art type Inkscape is just great and free, and there are free CAD programs for more fabrications type drawings.
Do a little research and ask questions to find what works for you.
baileigh.JPG
baileigh.JPG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 295 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”