Sometimes I hate sheetcam...

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Sometimes I hate sheetcam...

Post by AKmud »

A633B88A-860E-47E7-83B7-0C0040A05CD4.jpeg
The breaks are so tiny they don’t even show up in Inkscape. Is there a work around other than deleting nodes everywhere?
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Sometimes I hate sheetcam...

Post by AKmud »

Another question I can't seem to find an answer for. Is there a way to fix path errors like these straight from Sheetcam or do I have to do the fixes in Inkscape and reload it into Sheetcam?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I SheetCam use the contours tool and click on the circles you don't want and move them to another layer and unselect that layer by unchecking the box next to the layer name you gave. As you click on more they will disappear after you move them to that layer. Then do you normal plan without that layer. Also when saving in Inkscape for DXF be sure both boxes are unchecked in the menu that comes up when saving.
If you had posted the file it would be easy to look at it, it does look like you have a very large number of nodes in the letters. Are you creating the letters or selecting a font, font selection will give you a very small amount of notes when converted to a path.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

That is actually a font. "Segoe print". It kind of baffled me because other parts of the file with the same letters showed no errors. I'll check out the contours tool, I wasn't really sure what that did anyway. It's pretty disheartening to work on a file in Inkscape for a few hours and think it's all clean just to find a spaghetti mess of circles when its opened in sheetcam.

Thanks for helping this newbie out.
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

I would like a copy of that file so I can run some tests and find out what is happening.
What version of SheetCam are you using? If you aren't sure you can find it in Help->about.
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

I think this is the original problem file. I only have sheetcam loaded on the computer attached to my table so I have to go back and forth with a USB drive.
Karen firepit.svg
(106.66 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Would it be possible to get a working copy of Sheetcam to put on my laptop with only one license so I can check to see if files are clean without having to go fire up the shop computer?
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Hi Les,
I'm getting those same circles on Linux version 6.1.57. If you look real close in Sheetcam, you'll see tiny breaks at the intersection of the circles and the drawing. If I load the drawing back into CorelDraw, the breaks are not there. Sometimes there are more circles, sometimes less, and sometimes they are not there at all. I've been messing around with it trying to figure out what is going on. The problem does not appear in the Window version of Sheetcam that I am using for comparison while trouble shooting the problem. Right now I am using a .dfx file, but had the same problem with a .svg version of the same file.

Edit: I tried loading some older, simpler files into Sheetcam, and they loaded just fine, so the problem may have something to do with larger, more complicated files. The file I'm having problems with takes almost 2 minutes to load into Sheetcam.

Steve
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-04-20_08-28-15.png
Screenshot_2020-04-20_08-28-15.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 646 times
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

AKmud,

Could you tell me what version you are using. Look in Help->about. Also are you using Windows or Linux? If you are using Windows, try installing the latest version.
This appears to be an arc matching problem which should be fixed in more recent versions. The Linux version is a bit behind and appears to still have the problem. I'm working on an update for the Linux version that among other things will sort out the display issues seen on some versions of Linux.

As a workaround for Linux, until I can get the update released, go to Options->application options->drawing import and change 'Minimum segments for arc fitting' to 8. Now when you load the drawing the circles should go away. If they don't all go away, increase the number and reload the drawing.
Would it be possible to get a working copy of Sheetcam to put on my laptop with only one license so I can check to see if files are clean without having to go fire up the shop computer?
Install the demo version on your laptop. The only limit of the demo version is the post processor so you can set up your job then save it as a job file. Load the job file onto your plasma copy to post process it.

WyoGreen with your slow loading go to Options->application options->drawing import and turn off 'Remove duplicate lines'. Your drawings will load a lot faster. Of course you need to be more careful to avoid overlapping lines.
AKmud
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by AKmud »

Thanks Les,

I am running a Linux system. My SC version says 6.1.57
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Hopefully the workaround will fix your problem until I can get the new release out.

Return to “SheetCam”