Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Nzniceguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Basic Inkscape questions

Post by Nzniceguy »

I have a few basic beginners questions

I want to use Inkscape to make pictures to cut on my cnc plasma,
what is the purpose of stroke to path and object to path etc and do I always need to do that and at what stage do I do so?

I was trying to make a picture of a pentagon with a 5 sided star inside and have it so the star was cut out and the outside of the pentagon cut out.....I drew them ok in outline mode and grouped them together then saved... When I opened up the file after that in my CAM program, the pentagon and the star were both just a bunch of single lines when I selected them instead of selecting each shape as a whole.....does that make sense? What did I do wrong?
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Basic Inkscape questions

Post by ROKCRLER »

Check out this post
https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php? ... 5&start=25

For your file, you have to difference the inside from the outside if you want to make just the outline.
You can do it with just the outline but you have to set stroke to path to the width you want the final piece to be cut.

Video added.
Last edited by ROKCRLER on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Nzniceguy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:27 am When I opened up the file after that in my CAM program, the pentagon and the star were both just a bunch of single lines when I selected them instead of selecting each shape as a whole.....does that make sense? What did I do wrong?
This happens for me as well, no matter if I stroke to path, difference,etc. So here is what I do. I was using outline mode, and just created the pentagon and star and centered the star inside the pentagon. No need to combine or group.
star and pentagon 1.jpg
star and pentagon 2.jpg
star and pentagon 3.jpg
star and pentagon 4.jpg
star and pentagon 5.jpg
star and pentagon 6.jpg
Since you most likely do not have access to Design Edge, you can use LightBurn to do the same thing (link/join paths).

Just save your Inkscape file as svg, import to LightBurn, and then export as dxf. This may also work exporting as svg, but I have not tried it since my cam program only deals with dxf files.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

star and pentagon 7.jpg
star and pentagon 8.jpg
star and pentagon 9.jpg
Here is the file as saved from Inkscape
star and pentagon from Inkscape.dxf
(5.59 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
And here is the file imported/exported from LightBurn for linking.
star and pentagon from LightBurn.dxf
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by adbuch on Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

LightBurn has a 30 day free trial, so you can try it out at no cost to see how you like it. If you decide to buy, it is around $60 for a perpetual license.
David

https://lightburnsoftware.com/
LightBurn.jpg
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Noticed my video didnt attach before.. added now.
Not exactly sure if thats what the OP wanted.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:51 pm Noticed my video didnt attach before.. added now.
I would be interested to see your svg or dxf file resulting from your video.
Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:51 pm Noticed my video didnt attach before.. added now.
I have edited my post above to include the dxf files from Inkscape and from LightBurn.
I know no way using Inkscape to link/join the file before saving, such that when opened with a non-Sheetcam cad/cam program the file will be linked in its as-opened form. Perhaps you can show us a way to do this from within Inkscape.

The OP was having the problem that when he opened his file from Inkscape in his particular cad/cam program, it was not linked when it came into his program. I have the same problem when opening Inkscape files with Design Edge, only it is not really a big deal since I can just select all and hit "J" for join/link to create all closed paths for cutting. I believe the OP is having the same issue.

My previous posts above were showing him how to resolve his problem. If his particular cad/cam program has a link/join tool, then he could do it the same way I do it with Design Edge. If not, then importing/exporting using LightBurn will accomplish the same thing.

David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

I didnt save the original file, I just did this the same way.
Attachments
Star_StrokeToPath.dxf
(1.81 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Star_StrokeToPath.svg
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Star_StrokeToPath.dxf
open paths from Inkscape.jpg
Star_StrokeToPath.svg
open paths from Inkscape 1.jpg
Star_StrokeToPath Imported/exported from LightBurn for automatic linking
open paths from Inkscape 2.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

open paths from Inkscape 3.jpg
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Good points David.
Those files were quick and dirty. I too double check mine before cutting... especially with TM... What little I've used it.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:47 pm Good points David.
Those files were quick and dirty. I too double check mine before cutting... especially with TM... What little I've used it.
TM = TorchMate?
Nzniceguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Nzniceguy »

Thanks so much for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I am at work so havnt had time to read your replies and look at videos yet but will do so after work. I want to be able to do these things myself but I've only just worked out how to get a decent cut using known good files to cut with, i now need to draw things myself and go to trhat next step.
I am using an Australian company built opensource type machine and using a very basic free CAM package called OPenBuilds CAM....it is the most very basic of programs so doesnt have many options. You can see it hopefully in the attached image.

The attached image also shows exactly what I want to draw and cut...I tried cutting it but the torch turned off after the first line so I need to attach those open lines I feel. It is 150mm high.
Attachments
scshot1.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nzniceguy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:02 am
The attached image also shows exactly what I want to draw and cut...I tried cutting it but the torch turned off after the first line so I need to attach those open lines I feel. It is 150mm high.
It turns out that your OpenBuilds CAM program works fine with Inkscape svg files as is with no additional linking required. I drew up your star in pentagram shape and saved as both dxf and svg. The dxf will require additional processing to link the 15 individual line segments into closed paths. I worked in outline view, and only created these shapes as objects. I did not difference them, stroke to path, combine, group, or any other operations.
2 objects 1.jpg
2 objects 2.jpg
Here are the svg and dxf saved directly from Inkscape
3 inch star in pentagrarm from Inkscape - 1.svg
(2.86 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
3 inch star in pentagrarm from Inkscape - 1.dxf
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
And here is the svg saved from Inkscape and converted to dxf with LightBurn.

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is a screen shot of the successful simulation of the Inkscape svg file.
simulation 1.jpg

Here is the Inkscape dxf file. This one won't process due to the 15 discreet open paths.
simulation 2.jpg

And here is the successful simulation for the Inkscape dxf file imported/exported using LightBurn to join/link the 15 individual paths into 2 closed paths.
simulation 3.jpg
Since your cam program will work with svg files, there is really no reason to worry about using dxf for this particular g-code generator.

By the way, I have used similar g-code generators in the past to create g-code for my GRBL cnc router/engraver.
candle.jpg
I also worked with one of the guys on the Sawmill Creek forum with Chilipepper to help him get his diy cnc router up and running.

simulation 4.jpg
Have fun!!
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:20 am
TM = TorchMate?
Yes sir, torchmate.. i had to make and fix some files for another guy that uses TM.. i dont like it. Ive only had first hand experience with LS and Mach3 when i started, and TM with their software a handful of times.

Now that i understand what the OP wanted and you posted, here is the file created again. I dont see any open paths as svg or DXF in Inkscape or Sheetcam
Attachments
Star_Differenced.jpg
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:49 am
adbuch wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:20 am
TM = TorchMate?
Yes sir, torchmate.. i had to make and fix some files for another guy that uses TM.. i dont like it. Ive only had first hand experience with LS and Mach3 when i started, and TM with their software a handful of times.

Now that i understand what the OP wanted and you posted, here is the file created again. I dont see any open paths as svg or DXF in Inkscape or Sheetcam
Could you post your dxf and svg please.
Thanks,
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Here you go
Attachments
Star.svg
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Star.dxf
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks. Here are the results.
Star.dxf - 22 open paths.jpg
Star.svg - 2 closed paths - works fine.jpg
Star.dxf opned with DE.jpg
Star.dxf after linking.jpg
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

So if using that CAM software, joining nodes in dxf is needed. If hes using Inkscape, its easy to do as shown in other threads/videos.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:08 pm So if using that CAM software, joining nodes in dxf is needed. If hes using Inkscape, its easy to do as shown in other threads/videos.
Yes - for his software, either svg directly from Inkscape or dxf from Inkscape modified to link/join. If he has dxf files from other sources that are not linked/joined, he can use Lightburn to link/join them so he can use them with his software.
David
Nzniceguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Nzniceguy »

Sorry guys for slow reply and thank yous...I ended up catching the dreaded Covid and it knocked me about for a few days. Thank you very much for all the time spent looking at this for me. I think I tried making it in Inkscape but had trouble with snaps pulling the star points out of alignment and being unsure how to turn them off, just went to XCAD and made the picture there so that must be why it worked in Inkscape for you and I had the single line trouble.
I went to cut it out and my plasma source started misfiring and playing up so it(the plasma source) is now sent away for a warranty repair! It doesnt rain, it pours!
Had to happen when I just got a new client for some work! Doesnt make for much confidence in my work.

One final thing though that I didnt see answered...what is object/stroke to path actually for and when do I need to use it and at what stage of the drawing process do I use it?

Once again though, thank you all so very much for your help. I really want to be able to draw these pictures myself rather than trying to find something already done or asking others, no doubt i will have more questions.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is show to control the "snaps" function, you move the sliders to the left for less effect (tune down the distance for the action).
On the stroke and path question I normally do them when each element is drawn, like letters on a path. After you attach and position the letters I make them a path, then they stay that way. Items need to be a path for the join or other functions for them to work. Do not mix stroke items with outline items it messes thing up. :Sad
asnapes.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Nzniceguy wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:18 am I think I tried making it in Inkscape but had trouble with snaps pulling the star points out of alignment and being unsure how to turn them off,
Here is how I turn snaps on or off.
David
snaps 1.jpg
snaps 2.jpg

Return to “Inkscape”