SYNC cut charts

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

SYNC cut charts

Post by rick_b »

Anyone with the new SYNC system, are you deviating from the cut charts in the Hypertherm book?
bwmetalworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: SYNC cut charts

Post by bwmetalworks »

They've been pretty spot on for me
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

They are typically pretty darn close. Most deviations are needed due the cnc machine not being accurate in terms of the speed displayed vs the actual speed of the gantry, or the height displayed vs the actual height of the torch, or THC accuracy. Don't hesitate to deviate if needed, they are more of a pretty accurate starting point.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I just got a Powermax65 SYNC, have used previous Hypertherm systems for over 40 years for both cnc and hand held cutting. The new SYNC cut charts are as close as you can get! I like the higher piercing height as well as the higher cut heights......these give you a little room for error. Typically the only adjustments I make will be with cut speed.....if the cut parts have excess bottom dross then the speed is increased (yes, increased!) until the dross is gone. On occasion I will slow down when cutting holts such as bolt holes......with the slower speed providing an edge with less taper. Remember that whenever you make speed adjustments you must adjust the THC voltage (if your machine does not auto adjust the voltage / height). For slower cut speeds the voltage needs to be higher in order to maintain the correct torch to work distance (cut height). Jim Colt
ClaudioK
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ClaudioK »

What kind of THC control are you using ?
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Maverick CNC with Flashcut integrated CAD , CAM and CNC. So the height control is integrated into the cutting software.....the operator generally does not need to adjust height as this machines uses ohmic surface sensing to auto calibrate the cut height and arc voltage to compensate for electrode wear, speed changes, etc. Jim Colt
kn612
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kn612 »

jimcolt wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:14 pm Maverick CNC with Flashcut integrated CAD , CAM and CNC. So the height control is integrated into the cutting software.....the operator generally does not need to adjust height as this machines uses ohmic surface sensing to auto calibrate the cut height and arc voltage to compensate for electrode wear, speed changes, etc. Jim Colt
Jim, with your years of experience at Hypertherm and access to their tech, how come you don't use any version of Hypertherm's phoenix software and any version of edge controllers? Also how does any other current plasma cnc controllers aimed at the hobby/light fab compare to Hypertherm's microedge, edge, etc.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

I have used it in the past, however my home hobby machines came equipped with Design Edge and Flashcut. (PlasmaCam and Maverick CNC machines. I have been using these two integrated software packages (integrated CAD/CAM/CNC and THC)....and since I only use the machines for personal use (Farm, Hot Rods, Equipment maintenence< Etc.) .....for my use the software that came with the machines makes more sense. Note that I retired from Hypertherm 5 years ago (after 41 years). I still consult with Hypertherm whenever needed.....and try to stay up to date on the latest from them. Jim Colt

In regards to comparisons between the different controller / software packages. For busy shops that run as much as 3 shifts 7 days a week, then I would always recommend the big boy industrial machines with XPR (high definition class) plasma and a solid, well integrated industrial control like Hypertherm offers. These systems are more costly, but prove to be more productive, more accurate and have the best reliability and factory support. When it comes to air plasma cutting......smaller,lower cost cnc machines and air plasma along with an easy to learn, easy to use software / control package fit the majority of the needs with decent performance.
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

I would have to say on the subject of Hypertherm's controller and their Phoenix software, if I had it to do over again I would not get it.
kn612

Post by kn612 »

rick_b wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:40 pm I would have to say on the subject of Hypertherm's controller and their Phoenix software, if I had it to do over again I would not get it.
What don't you like about it and what would you use instead? It is a little hard to navigate at first but the only other controller that has the same features I've come across so far is qtplasmac/linux
rick_b
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rick_b »

I find the software to be cumbersome and jittery to start with and seems to be missing a lot of basic features seen in other controllers.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”