Oh boy, yet another new user with a new (used) plasmacam

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Oh boy, yet another new user with a new (used) plasmacam

Post by Joe Jones »

caretech wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:33 pm A few posts above, you said that "anything you want to do with Plasmacam is $$$$$."
Correct. you can get into a 4x4 table and standard software for about $12K. If you want to ADD software upgrades or accessories, that will cost you more. Or you could do what I did. Buy a Samson 510 table and the full monty of software for $35K and have EVERYTHING!

I bought my 2022 F250. You know what? It cost me MORE to add a winch! :lol: It cost even MORE to add a hard bed cover, a gooseneck hitch, retractable running boards, WeatherTech floor mats, and custom wheels! Damn, Ford! :lol: The truck SHOULD come with EVERYTHING!
I just bought a used CNC press brake for $35,000. A much more expensive piece of machinery than any pcam table.
:roll: A Samson 510 table with the pipe cutter, the engraver, the rotary tool and the Full Monty of software is around $35,000.00
This high-n-mighty attitude from a little company that caters to hobbyists makes me shake my head.
Yes, I guess their massive sales numbers WOULD. Those hobbyists make a lot of money with their PlasmaCam tables.
I can't for the life of me figure out why it should matter to pcam if a TABLE is registered or not.
If they sell parts to ANYONE, then people will be able to build their own PlasmaCam tables by buying PARTS from PlasmaCam, or restoring an old table with new parts from PlasmaCam, and run the table using pirated software.
does it matter that much to pcam if one of their blue and yellow pieces of tin was stolen? I doubt it.
It matters when money is owed to PlasmaCam for the table. Why should they sell replacement parts and offer tech support to someone who has possession of a STOLEN table?

Look ... I GET IT! You are one of those guys who thinks no "real man" would ever own a PlasmaCam table. :wink:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
caretech
1.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by caretech »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:56 am As for your rabbit hole, I could scan PlasmaSpider and find PLENTY of posts from NON-PlasmaCam owners, complaining about the problems they are having with their machines, and their software. The other software and the other tables are not without their own problems.

Joe
You make a good point here, and I take it. I have no idea how many hours I spent building my table and integrating its software, and it's probably good I don't. However, how much is it worth to know how each part works and fits together, and be able to fix things / make upgrades by yourself when you need to? For some of us, that's worth quite a few rabbit holes & bunny trails. :D
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

caretech wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:06 pm
You make a good point here, and I take it. I have no idea how many hours I spent building my table and integrating its software, and it's probably good I don't. However, how much is it worth to know how each part works and fits together, and be able to fix things / make upgrades by yourself when you need to? For some of us, that's worth quite a few rabbit holes & bunny trails. :D
I am glad you like your table.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

caretech

Post by caretech »

Joe Jones wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:04 pm :roll: A Samson 510 table with the pipe cutter, the engraver, the rotary tool and the Full Monty of software is around $35,000.00
I guess I didn't make my point clear. I'm talking used prices for machinery. The machine I just bought for the "full monty" pcam price is 11 years old and high hours. I'm quite sure anyone finding a well-used pcam for sale isn't going to sink that amount of cash into it... but then again, some folks just might! You never know. :wink:
Shop-built 5x10 table powered by QtPlasmaC
Hypertherm PM 85 machine torch
Lincoln PowerMig 255C
Lincoln Square Wave Tig 255
Ermak SpeedBend Pro
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

We can compare Harleys to Hondas all day long. The price of a machine does not determine its worth. People who actually USE their PlasmaCam tables actually do make money in metal art.

I don't believe there is a mega dollar Harley anywhere on the planet that can match the thousands of old Honda Goldwings running around with 300,000+ miles on their odometers.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

cutnweld
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutnweld »

These posts always make my day. Rant about plasmacams lordship over there tables and software and transfer paperwork etc, then bite anyone who agrees with you!
5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
cutnweld

Post by cutnweld »

You are absolutely correct! In this day and age, with high speed Internet connections and everything, there is no reason on Earth why it should be so difficult to move a legitimate DesignEdge SEAT from one PC to another PC. But PlasmaCam seems to do everything by carrier pigeon. Nothing happens, until the signature is scribed unto the parchment paper in the dark of the night, under the dim glow of a flickering lantern. The parchment is then rolled carefully, and sealed with hot wax and the official PlasmaCam Golden Ring Impression into the wax. Then the proclamation is tied with a golden ribbon of silk, and carried by a trusted servant from Arizona to Colorado, where the parchment is unrolled, the proclamation is read aloud from the balcony of the palace, and all of the towns people have bowed their heads in a moment of silence. At least that is how it SEEMS to work.

Buying and installing another seat, or an upgrade, or moving a seat to a different PC SHOULD be able to be done in a flash, online, even on Christmas Eve.

I am not sure how this relates to non-PlasmaCam owners posting their problems and seeking answers here though :roll:

Joe

That is one I pulled. I didn’t type that I copied and pasted. I don’t care who runs what. Hats off to Joe for helping the op get his table going

5X10 Shop built table
20x80x32 inch gap lathe
10x40 lathe
10x54 milling machine
2-Miller 255
Miller XMT350MPA
Lincoln squarewave tig 255
12 Ft Durma Brake
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

So how goes the journey toward DesignEdge and the "Big Three" upgrades? I will have to run down again to drop in and see what you are up to. I think it is time for a visit!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Return to “Introduce Yourself”