Inside corner radius path effects

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inside corner radius path effects

Post by ROKCRLER »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:03 am Rokcrler - I made the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360 a few years ago, and normally only use it for solid modeling for 3D printing. It seems like I remember trying the SE 3D version a while back, but was having difficulty exporting the dxf 2D files - and I also think I remember it hanging up on me quite a bit - so I uninstalled it. Perhaps I will revisit it.

I was recommending the 2D version to TJ as I think it would be much easier to use for him if he is used to doing his work in 2D with Inkscape.

David
Unfortunately the free versions of SE do not have auto updates for patches, as a new version comes out, you need to uninstall and reinstall and you should have all the bug fixes.
One thing to remember is that the software is not backwards compatible, so if you create parts in 2023, you can not open them in 2022 or earlier.

So far I've been able to get SE to do pretty much all the parts designing I've needed to do, except for artsy stuff which i go back to Inkscape for.

Another think I've done, for flat 2D parts, i still create them in 3D environment just so I can extrude to the thickness I need which also give me a 3D representation to show when needed.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Rokcrler, I did spend some time this evening downloading and installing the SE 3D software. The one I download is this one.

https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/soluti ... nd-makers/
se.jpg
Is this the one you are using? I spent several hours installing it and had little success. Initially I was attempting to install it on my main pc (the one I am typing on now) but since I already have the 2D version installed it said I would need to uninstall the 2D version in order to install the 3D version. So I downloaded and installed to one of my alternate office computers - another Windows 10 pc that I keep as a backup. It installed fine, but was extremely slow and I was only able to open the program and use the 2D portion. The other 3D portions would just hang the computer. I tried rebooting, opening as Administrator, etc. - but it was a no-go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

David,
I am using the community edition https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /community .... the link you provided appears to install the same version.

You do have to uninstall the 2D version as 2D draft is included in the 3D version.
The lag you experience might be from outdated video drivers, i fought that for a few weeks on one desktop while it ran fine on another. Update the driver and you should be go to go.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for that! The computer in question does not have the 2D version installed. I will look into finding out if I have the latest video drivers and report back.

Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I just did a search on that pc and the message said I already have the current most up to date drivers installed. This is an HP with Windows 10.
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:23 am I just did a search on that pc and the message said I already have the current most up to date drivers installed. This is an HP with Windows 10.
David
I had to look on the display adapter mfg site for updated drivers instead of the PC mfg.

Also, check your settings in SE. I had to choose Graphics card driven on one machine, this one is set to automatic.
Attachments
SE01.PNG
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rokcrler - I uninstalled and reinstalled SE and now it work fine. I did check the Options page and it is set to Automatic Selection for Application Display. I did create a sketch and convert to 3D/extrude and save as stl for import to my slicer - just to check it out. It worked fine. I will probably stick with Fusion 360 for now, since I've got a lot of time invested already and am pretty much up-to-speed with it. The one thing I will say is that SE doesn't seem to have the start-up or computational lag that I often experience with Fusion 360. Thanks for your help.

David

Return to “Inkscape”