Trace Bitmap Changed Letter Quality

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
HCmillertech
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Trace Bitmap Changed Letter Quality

Post by HCmillertech »

I am doing a donation piece for a fallen Police Officer and need some help. I had a JPG and did a trace bitmap but the name and badge number got funky.

can someone tell me how I can straighten it out?

Thanks
Attachments
Law Officer Paw Logo2.jpg
Law Officer Paw Logo2.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Capture.JPG
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Trace Bitmap Changed Letter Quality

Post by adbuch »

That distortion of the text is typical for lower resolution auto traced images. Another option would be to manually trace the text or find a similar font and type in the text and then edit the auto traced result to include the new text.
David
auto trace 1.jpg
Last edited by adbuch on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is one method to find a similar font.
Paw 1.jpg
Paw 1.jpg (59.4 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Open with Paint. net
Paw 2.jpg
Crop to text only
Paw 3.jpg
Save as jpeg file
Paw 4.jpg
Cropped text
jose meza.jpg
Go to https://www.myfonts.com/pages/whatthefont
Paw 5.jpg
Paw 6.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Paw 7.jpg
If you want to find a free font that is close to this one, then
Paw 8.jpg
Here is one that looks pretty close.
Paw 9.jpg
Download and install new font into Windows fonts folder, then re-open Inkscape and type your text and add to your file.
Paw 10.jpg
Paw 11.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

If you are only going to use this once for testing, then you could use the original search result and type in your sample text, then screen shot and import to Inkscape for Path, Trace Bitmap and it will provide a nice result.

screen shot 1.jpg
screen shot 2.jpg
screen shot 3.jpg
screen shot 4.jpg
screen shot 5.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

screen shot 6.jpg
screen shot 7.jpg
screen shot 8.jpg
screen shot 9.jpg
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

Great advice from David above. Were you able to get the design to where you are happy with it?
HCmillertech
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by HCmillertech »

Thank You I will Start trying to get it figured out.
HCmillertech
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by HCmillertech »

So I cant import the jpeg. I have to use version .91 for my table and it is a pain. I thought it would be nice to do this to donate for the silent auction but it is taking too much time to get the file right.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

HCmillertech wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:01 pm So I cant import the jpeg. I have to use version .91 for my table and it is a pain. I thought it would be nice to do this to donate for the silent auction but it is taking too much time to get the file right.
Which jpeg is the one you can't import? I see no reason why you would need to be (or want to be) stuck using Inkscape version .91 because of your table. The newer versions of Inkscape will generate g-code tool paths just as well as your old version. My best advise would be to install the newest version of Inkscape onto your computer. You can have both versions (.91 and 1.2.x) installed and working on your computer at the same time.

If for some reason you are more comfortable generating the g-code/tool paths using version .91, then do all your editing using the newer version. Save from the new version as svg, open with your old version .91, and run your tool paths. As an example, I have done just that.

I created the final version I showed above using Inkscape 1.2.1 and saved as svg. Then I opened this svg with Inkscape .91. For some reason the .91 buttons are not showing the symbols for the version .91 I just downloaded, but they work just the same.

I know you spend about 15 minutes working on it between your two posts, and perhaps got frustrated. You originally did your auto trace using your version .91, so you must have imported the original jpeg image for that trace. You should be able to download and install the font I used for my demo. Then edit to remove the auto traced text and replace with text you type using the new font. Or simply us another font you already have installed. I doubt anyone would know the difference when you raffle it off at your event. Worst case just manually trace the letters from the original image you imported.

Let me know if you have any questions about any of this.

David
JM gcode 1.jpg
JM gcode 2.jpg
JM gcode 3.jpg
JM gcode 4.jpg
JM gcode 5.jpg
JM gcode 6.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You could manually trace the letters from the original jpeg image you imported. Then delete the auto traced letters and add the ones you created with your manual tracing.

David
JM gcode 7.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:47 am Great advice from David above.
Thanks plasmanewbie! I did download and install the Inkscape version .91 that the OP is using. It works, but is pretty "clunky" compared to the newer versions. Also, I think there may have been a conflict between this old version and my newer versions since it would give error messages and crash when I attempted to do Path, Trace Bitmap. I ended up uninstalling all 3 Inkscape versions I had on this computer and then installing the latest Inkscape version 1.2.2. This newest version looks identical to the version 1.2.1 that I had been using.

As a note, I previously had two different versions of Inkscape installed on this computer at the same and had not conflicts. I had been using version 1.1.2 and kept it installed after I installed the newer version 1.2.1. I'm not sure why I had so much trouble when I installed version .91. Maybe it was because I had 3 different versions and there was some sort of conflict between one of the newer ones and the old version .91 ( released January 2015).

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, this g-code created using Inkscape 1.2.2 gives the same result as the g-code created with Inkscape 0.91. So either one will work, and no real need that I can see to stick with 0.91.

David
1.2.2.jpg
1.2.2 - 1.jpg
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Good info David, would be a good idea for the OP to get the latest version of Inkscape, especially since it is free and then support from folks here may go smoother in the future.
HCmillertech
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by HCmillertech »

OK I downloaded 1.2.1 and I get the same thing when I import the JPG. It is a box with a red X.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

HCmillertech wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:47 pm OK I downloaded 1.2.1 and I get the same thing when I import the JPG. It is a box with a red X.
That's because you are in outline view. You need to switch to normal view.
David
outline view.jpg
outline view 1.jpg

Return to “Inkscape”