Scott from SparxLabs

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
SparxLabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Scott from SparxLabs

Post by SparxLabs »

Hello everyone,

My name is Scott and I am the owner and operator of SparxLabs in Southern Indiana.

Although my business is really new, I am not a complete newb to plasma or CNC. My background consist of 10 years of Fabrication tool design for Caterpillar, took a few years off that to be a maintenance supervisor and currently work for a government contractor where I am a checker and manage a project with 6 CAD/Drafters under me during the day. Part time is my side venture of SparxLabs where I'm planning on offer CNC plasma offerings, general small fabrication and eventually powder coating and tumble polishing. My hope is to get this to support me and I can quit my day job and work for myself. Anyway, just a brief introduction to myself and my background.

Oh, I am able to help anyone in just about any CAD package you may be using, I have 20,000 hours in Pro/E (Creo) along with AutoCAD, SolidWorks and a touch of CATIA V4. I've had to feed myself knowing these programs so I should be able to assist with questions if anyone has any.

I have a Wright CNC 4x8 table with an Everlast 82i along with my other general fabrication tools.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scott from SparxLabs

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome Scott! Sounds like you have plenty of experience and off to a good start.

How do you like that Everlast 82i?

Wish you all the best in your new venture, to be able to make it a full time thing would certainly be awesome.
SparxLabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SparxLabs »

plasmanewbie wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:18 pm Welcome Scott! Sounds like you have plenty of experience and off to a good start.

How do you like that Everlast 82i?

Wish you all the best in your new venture, to be able to make it a full time thing would certainly be awesome.
So far, I like it. Its cut everything so far I've thrown at it, but I haven't cut anything over 1/8" so that's not saying much.
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Hi. I wish you luck. I believe there is still a place for cnc plasma cutters, especially when you are cutting the thicker steel plates. However, laser seems to be moving up, and as laser prices fall, the people who cut the 14 gauge "metal art" pieces are going to move to lasers.

I am looking at a nice fiber laser machine myself. I have the Samson 510 cnc plasma table, and other machines. I have taken a liking to lasers most recently. I haven't decided to jump onto that $180,000.00 KERN FiberCELL 4x8 machine just yet. It isn't the money. It is my complete lack of confidence in the future of America that restrains me. I just don't think we are going to have a country by this time next year. I sure hope I am wrong, but FedNOW kicks off in July, and the deranged psychopath Gates has already told us that "I don't think people will be able to ignore the next pandemic... "

I am of two opposing schools of thought. One is to get a nice fiber laser and get back into making and selling things, and the other is to have one HELL of a garage sale, sell off EVERYTHING, and just wait for the shooting to begin. :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
16 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Welcome aboard Scott! It sounds like you've got your bases covered as far as software goes. I made the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360 several years ago, but still use AutoCad for a few tasks related to cnc machining. I have also been using Bricscad (AutoCad clone) a bit. As far as the cnc plasma cutting, many here use Inkscape, CorelDraw, SolidEdge, and a few others along with SheetCam for the g-code. What sorts of products - if any - do you intend to offer thru your new business venture? Or will you be strictly doing customer requests? Good luck with your new venture, and perhaps share a few photos of your shop setup and some of your current projects.

David
SparxLabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SparxLabs »

I get it! The plasma is a stepping stone for me to either a laser or jet.

I'm prepared for your senerio you describe if it should happen;)
Joe Jones wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:23 pm Hi. I wish you luck. I believe there is still a place for cnc plasma cutters, especially when you are cutting the thicker steel plates. However, laser seems to be moving up, and as laser prices fall, the people who cut the 14 gauge "metal art" pieces are going to move to lasers.

I am looking at a nice fiber laser machine myself. I have the Samson 510 cnc plasma table, and other machines. I have taken a liking to lasers most recently. I haven't decided to jump onto that $180,000.00 KERN FiberCELL 4x8 machine just yet. It isn't the money. It is my complete lack of confidence in the future of America that restrains me. I just don't think we are going to have a country by this time next year. I sure hope I am wrong, but FedNOW kicks off in July, and the deranged psychopath Gates has already told us that "I don't think people will be able to ignore the next pandemic... "

I am of two opposing schools of thought. One is to get a nice fiber laser and get back into making and selling things, and the other is to have one HELL of a garage sale, sell off EVERYTHING, and just wait for the shooting to begin. :roll:

Joe
SparxLabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SparxLabs »

So I should have included Inkscape (that I'm learning now) and Bricscad to my list.
I attached a pic of a goof up from today and a pic of the shop.

adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:24 pm Welcome aboard Scott! It sounds like you've got your bases covered as far as software goes. I made the transition from SolidWorks to Fusion 360 several years ago, but still use AutoCad for a few tasks related to cnc machining. I have also been using Bricscad (AutoCad clone) a bit. As far as the cnc plasma cutting, many here use Inkscape, CorelDraw, SolidEdge, and a few others along with SheetCam for the g-code. What sorts of products - if any - do you intend to offer thru your new business venture? Or will you be strictly doing customer requests? Good luck with your new venture, and perhaps share a few photos of your shop setup and some of your current projects.

David
Attachments
FB_IMG_1688864430042.jpg
FB_IMG_1688864390671.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Scott - that's a nice roomy shop with plenty of open space. How about some photos of your actual table setup. Are you using any sort of dust collection or water tray with your table to help with the dust and smoke elimination?
Thanks,
David
SparxLabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SparxLabs »

adbuch wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 1:29 am Scott - that's a nice roomy shop with plenty of open space. How about some photos of your actual table setup. Are you using any sort of dust collection or water tray with your table to help with the dust and smoke elimination?
Thanks,
David
No dust collection or water tray yet, but will have something eventually.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SparxLabs wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:02 pm So I should have included Inkscape (that I'm learning now) and Bricscad to my list.
I attached a pic of a goof up from today and a pic of the shop.
Scott - Inkscape is lots of fun to use. It contains some nice tutorials and has an embedded online manual link as well. There are many here using Inkscape, so let us know if you have any specific questions or comments.

David
Inkscape tutorials.jpg
Inkscape tutorials 1.jpg

Return to “Introduce Yourself”