Hello from Canada

New to PlasmaSpider? Introduce yourself to the community and tell us a little about you.
Brunick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hello from Canada

Post by Brunick »

First build
First build
20230711_165601.jpg

Hello from British Columbia, Canada
I'm new to the cnc world and seeing as how I like to build things I thought I would build my own 4x8 plasma table. So heres a couple pictures of my progress so far
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by plasmanewbie »

Welcome to the site and great looking table build! How far out are you from getting the motion going and trying to cut something?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Good Show DIY strikes again :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Nice set up. Building it yourself really helps when you run into road blocks or issues. Welcome.
Brunick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Brunick »

Finishing up a little wiring + a few odds and ends, then should be able to do some test cuts and dialing in. All ready have motor tuning done and limit switches set as well as soft limits set. Just have to set floating head and not sure if I'm going to install thc now or wait until things dialed in
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Brunick - that's a great looking setup! I'll look forward to seeing it up and cutting and some of the projects you will make.

David
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

Brunick wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:13 pm Finishing up a little wiring + a few odds and ends, then should be able to do some test cuts and dialing in. All ready have motor tuning done and limit switches set as well as soft limits set. Just have to set floating head and not sure if I'm going to install thc now or wait until things dialed in
That's great, you must be pretty excited. I would wait until you get things dialed in before installing the THC, they can be very frustrating particularly when you could be dealing with other issues getting things fired up and dialed in. Let us know how your test runs go :Like
Brunick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Brunick »

Thanks guys, issues is right. Trying to get mach 3 to fire the torch but don't seem to be getting the signal to the relay. Have it wired up norm open but when I trigger torch on mach 3 nothing happens. Very frustrating. Have to go back to ports and pins to see if something not set right
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Brunick wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:27 am Thanks guys, issues is right. Trying to get mach 3 to fire the torch but don't seem to be getting the signal to the relay. Have it wired up norm open but when I trigger torch on mach 3 nothing happens. Very frustrating. Have to go back to ports and pins to see if something not set right
I use Mach 3, but only for a cnc router. I know Tom has much experience with Mach3 ports and pins, perhaps he will chime in here to talk about your settings. Good luck!

David
Brunick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Brunick »

Hi again. Well got the torch to fire but cannot shut it off. Using output pin 4 to an external relay. Funny thing is that the relay triggers on and off fine when the plasma cutter is off but won't trigger off when the plasma cutter is on. I'm wondering if possibly not enough voltage through signal wire to trigger the relay off when the plasma cutter is firing? Any one have other ideas
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Are you using a latching relay?
David
Last edited by adbuch on Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brunick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Brunick »

Its a cheap amazon relay.not sure what a latching relay is
Screenshot_20230715_081408_Gallery.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have used a relay module like that, It is powered by +5 volts so if you BOB is powered by +5 you can use a circuit from it. You would hook it up to either a +5 volt output pin or a common pin to trigger it. The selection for the +5 or common is the S1 and S2 jumper. Most of the BOB boards I used I used Pin 9 for the output and I thing it is a +5 output when triggering the torch. In Mach 3 on the main page you can use the torch fire in the middle of the page or F5 to fire and again to release the trigger signal to the module. There is a indicator need the fire button that will indicate fire on or off when the trigger is working. You also need to go to ports and pins and tell it you are using pin for M3 (fire command in the G-code). If you want to see if a G-code command will fire it use the MDI box and put M3 to fire and the M5 for off. You may need to change active low on the output pin to reflect how the module is jumped (for common or +5 signal)
Maach 3 1.JPG
Maach 3 1.JPG (57.08 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
mach 3 2.JPG
mach 3 3.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

A latching relay is where you pulse it once and it stays closed, then pulse it again to open it.
David

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

the reply you show is not a latching relay, it is a standard type relay, trigger to close contacts no trigger contacts open.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Brunick
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Brunick »

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I think I have it figured. Was getting getting interference through the cheap usb cable that came with bob. It was screwing up my computor, changed to a better shielded cable that seems to make a difference although it's too short but now the torch triggers on and off. Have ordered a longer cable so I can actually put my computor out of the way.
Thanks again for the help.
Bruce
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Bruce - very happy to hear you've solved your problem. Sometimes it's the simplest things!
David

Return to “Introduce Yourself”