upgrade from Crossfire XL

Langmuir Crossfire, Crossfire Pro, Crossfire XR plasma table discussion forum
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

upgrade from Crossfire XL

Post by Gogo »

I have had a crossfire XL for about a year with THC. it's time to upgrade. I really like the machine but there are some things that bother me. The constant splash on the TCH and rails, the pierce height delay for thin work is too long, and a couple of other minor nits. I had been looking at the pro but I think that is out now due to the 33" limitation on one side, I know I can index but 36" circles are out unless I do. So I then started looking at the XR and it would be nice but I really don't need 8 feet. Ideally I would like a 5X5 or 5x4 with the 4 on the indexable side. So I started looking. There is a pretty decent looking STV 5x5 that comes in competitive with the XR, different sizes I know but for me, I would almost prefer the 5X5. Anyone have experience with the STV table. Looks like Pierce delay can be far shorter.

Not so sure about the software MyplasmCNC, some features look good, clearly not as polished but looks like it has more features less the polish than FireControl. My workflow is set in Fusion 360 and Sheetcam for Post, I like it I know it and there are some neat tuning features I have learned on this site. It appears I can continue to use Sheetcam but don't have to, but have not been able to find a post file for sheetcam for this unit. Not being able to use sheet cam may be a deal breaker. I know the XR comes with a computer but I have one for the shop already and don't need it

Plus on the Crossfire XR, I know it, I like it for the most part, it's pretty solid system and does what I need.
Cons, 5X 5 is the ideal size for me and they don't have it. 8 feet takes up a lot of space I cut my 4x8 sheets in half when I get them to store them. I have yet to need a full sheet for anything I need to cut. 4 feet yes, plenty, but over that none so far.

Anyone run both? or at least the MyplasmCNC?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: upgrade from Crossfire XL

Post by adbuch »

Perhaps consider buying the CrossfirePro and expanding it . This looks to be pretty simple to do, and will allow you to keep using the software you are familiar with.

David

https://forum.langmuirsystems.com/t/4x4 ... -pro/10782
crossfire pro expansion.jpg
crossfire pro expansion 1.jpg
crossfire pro expansion 2.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Have you though of the DIY direction or maybe a custom modification of the table you have. This would give you the options to change things you don't like, and keep what you do. Changing to the MyplasmCNC will give yo different software and electronics to work with. Changing the configuration of the table will help with the splashing and size limitations. Making changes to the table would not be a complete construction of a new table. I understand this is not in everybody's wheel house, but can be something you could do. I have built a few tables from scratch and used different electronics and software, with all I used SheetCam, that will not change. The table shown in David's post simple extending the side rails and the cross rail and elevation the corner supports. Reversing the torch mount top to bottom and changing the torch position will address many of the complaints you have. In SheetCam you can change the pierce delay in the tool setup menu.
I have not read the complete post but this one talks about changes to an existing table to solve a problem.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=35649
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

I have but that is kind of like changing a tire on a moving car right now. the pierce delay issue with Langmuir is that the shortest delay is half a second and must be used. For thin sheet metal I really don't even need a delay. so it blows big holes in thin metal,. but I use lead ins to mitigate the issue.

I think I am also above the intended duty cycle of this machine. I use it almost every day. Overall it is great, just some little things but my guess is everyone has annoying little things unless you spend 40K.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I had assumed that all of the Langmuir tables used their FireControl software. If the pierce delay time dictated by the FireControl software, or the post processor? If the answer is the post processor, I would think you could simply edit the post processor to shorten or delete the dwell time G04 Pxxxx which is inserted into the g-code.

David
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

if you set it much lower than .4 second all kinds errors happen. not digging them on it, have to compromise somewhere.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Gogo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:10 pm if you set it much lower than .4 second all kinds errors happen. not digging them on it, have to compromise somewhere.
Have you reached out to Langmuir tech support in an attempt to address this issue? If so, what was their response.
There has bee some discussion at the Langmuir forum about an inherent delay of 0.3 to 0.5 seconds due to the latency of the relay closing (ie. slow relay). Can you confirm that this problem has been addressed with the newer controller on the Crossfire Pro?

David
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

i found a way to work around it most of the time. and it’s pretty well documented. you can speed it upin fire control a little more. and with the new fine cut sync carts the pierce height is the same as the cut height.

Return to “Langmuir Crossfire Forum”