Pcam 5x10 whos got one

PlasmaCam Hardware discussion forum
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Pcam 5x10 whos got one

Post by wickedinhere »

Thinking of getting one. I am coming from a old 4x4 bulltear now starlab table. Pros and cons mainly art stuff will run a hyperthetm 45
Thanks
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pcam 5x10 whos got one

Post by Joe Jones »

The Samson 510 with DesignEdge software is my ONLY choice for a cnc plasma table. You should get the BIG THREE software upgrades, Advanced Design, Advanced Height Control and Advanced Machine Control. Depending on your budget, you might also consider adding the automatic nesting upgrade, the customizable size upgrade, and if you ever intend to run a ROUTER on the table in place of the plasma torch, you should also get the Full 3D upgrade. You don't need the Metric Units upgrade, and in my personal opinion, the pipe cutting attachment upgrade is worthless unless you are willing to spend an additional $5,000.00 to do it RIGHT.

I know of a nice one for sale right now in Florida, that is in fantastic condition. It comes with the BIG THREE upgrades and the Automatic Nesting upgrade, and a Hypertherm 45XP plasma machine. I think he would let it go for $16K. New price was $23K. I am thinking of buying it myself!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I have a Plasmacam DHC2 4x4 - exact same table and software except for the size - 4x4 vs. 5x10. Design Edge is the best combination software package on the market. You can draw, create cut paths, and cut all from the same program. So a little bit quicker than the normal Inkscape to SheetCam to control software 3 step process.

As has been mentioned, the big three "must have" software upgrades for Design Edge are Advanced Design, Advanced Machine Control, and Advanced Height Control (both levels). So basically a $4k upgrade. If you are in the market for a pre-owned table, then you might get lucky and find one with these upgrades already in place.

The nesting upgrade is nice if you do lots of multiples of smaller parts - I have it and don't really use it much. Unless you are planning to expand your table size (or reduce it) then you really don't need the customizable size for plasma cutting. You can do 2D wood routing fine without the 3D upgrade, but if you were using something like Vectric Aspire to create true 3D tool paths, then you would need the 3D upgrade in order to have the ability to import true 3D g-code.

If you are doing intricate artistic pieces from thinner material (10 gauge and thinner) then if you have the 45 (not the 45xp) then you might consider upgrading to one of the Duramax torches to allow the ability to use the Hypertherm FineCut consumables for a thinner kerf width, better detailed cuts, and less heat into the part - and thus less warping from heat. If you have already made the switch, then you already know the benefits and I am "preaching to the choir".

David
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I'd stick with a Bulltear.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Most all of us tend to recommend what we use and are partial to.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is one that might just be what you are looking for. I'm not sure what software upgrades he has, if any. I will know more later today when he responds to my question. This appears to be a great deal. The engraver attachment is $1200, pipe cutting attachment is $2k, router attachment is around $500, and it comes with a 45xp which is probably worth $2k used. If he's got the big three software upgrades, then this would be a "steal"!

David
wickedinhere wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:53 pm Thinking of getting one. I am coming from a old 4x4 bulltear now starlab table. Pros and cons mainly art stuff will run a hyperthetm 45
Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 469271466/
pc1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Update - He's basically got the "Full Monty" - every software upgrade available except for metric units. That's over $7k in software upgrades alone.
This is a fantastic deal on a great table. As he said, he's got over $23K invested and is selling for 50 cents on the dollar. You can't get much better than that.

David
full monty.jpg

rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I was just about to post the link to that one!

Also, can I just shake my head a moment at the adoption of the phrase, "Full Monty" to indicate that all or almost all of the features have been purchased. I mean, I loved that British comedy and subsequent movie in the 90's as much as the next guy but to set up a slang for having it all based on male strippers showing it all just seems a tad brash. :HaHa
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Full Monty means they put it all out there :lol: That WAS a funny movie! Suggest another term for tables that come with every upgrade. "The whole shebang?" "The whole shootin' match?"

A 2021 table? ... I must assume the table was painted blue by the guy who built it. Why? Samson 510 rails are red, but his rails are PlasmaCam blue. If he connected two sets of DHC2 rails together, the physical dimensions of the table might be 10 feet long, but that would not provide a 10-foot cutting area. Likewise the gantry is blue, so once again, it is either a red Samson gantry painted blue, or he made a custom gantry to achieve the 60" wide cutting area, or it is a 4x4 gantry, and he is only giving the physical dimensions of the table's FOOTPRINT, which would be 5x10, based on two 4x4 frames mated at the center. It might actually be only a 4x8 cutting area.

I do like the grates. The controller is mounted in a weird position, but to each, his own. It looks like it comes with the 45xp plasma machine and a hand torch.

I would be most curious to know if this table is properly registered with PlasmaCam, because of course, without that golden kiss of approval, the new owner is shut out from buying parts, and updating the software, etc.

The price is right. That makes TWO 510 tables for sale in Florida now! I am still pondering buying the other one,

Joe
Last edited by Joe Jones on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I don't do Facistbook. So I don't see the marketplace. I know ... everyone is hopelessly addicted to Facebook. It is the cyberdrug of the masses.

Too bad eBay is so damned greedy. They let you post an auction, and they should have a flat rate for an auction. It doesn't cost eBay one more cent to post an ad for a cruise ship, than it does to post an ad for an ash tray. But they want a HUGE cut of the sale price, and so eBay is off of my list of places to sell things.

Craigslist works .. sort of. However, Craigslist draws all of the freaks and mentally deranged mutants out from beneath their rocks. So you have to deal with the people who promise to show up to buy something, only to never be heard from again.

MEWE is an alternative to Facistbook, and there is even a PlasmaCam page there. But no ... folks won't go to MEWE. They are afraid they might miss out on a funny cat meme, or some silly social gossip or a baseless stab at Trump that FUELS the Facistbook junkies :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Facebook has funny cat memes? How have I been missing out for so long!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

DieselFumes wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:18 pm Facebook has funny cat memes? How have I been missing out for so long!
Collect the whole set!

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

The more I think about it, I am convinced that he used 4x4 table components to make a 4x8 table with a 5x10 footprint.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

:HaHa :HaHa :HaHa
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:48 am Suggest another term for tables that come with every upgrade. "The whole shebang?" "The whole shootin' match?"
How about 'spensive?
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I had no idea about any movie. I had read a letter from Plasmacam where they used this term to describe having all of their software upgrades.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Update on table. It turns out this is an extended DHC2 4x4 expanded in size to 4x8. So not a Sampson 510, but still a great table at a killer price!
David

A new DHC2 is currently priced at $10k plus shipping. And that's with basic Design Edge with no upgrades.
update.jpg

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

Yep. The prices is good, and the software package is great! A duo-4x4 will have a 5x10 footprint. This one probably will not last long. He is offering a lot for the asking price.

I would like to see more photos. Does it have center legs? Or is he relying on the 10-foot angles to support the weight?

The only modification I might make to this table, is to swap out the gear racks in the rails for 510 gear racks. This would allow the gantry to move further toward the end of the table, and I BELIEVE it would result in a 4'x9'+ cutting area.

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

I wish PlasmaCam would let us unlock the ADVANCED level of the CSU (Customizable Size) upgrade. I have heard this referred to as, "God Mode." :roll:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Thanks guys. What are the advantages of the upgraded software?
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

wickedinhere wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:59 pm Thanks guys. What are the advantages of the upgraded software?

Plasmacam upgrade comparisons-1.pdf

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Joe Jones wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:48 pm I wish PlasmaCam would let us unlock the ADVANCED level of the CSU (Customizable Size) upgrade. I have heard this referred to as, "God Mode." :roll:

Joe
I can't imagine what else one would want to change. Maybe this is one of those things they did and said, "We'll make this little check gray and show it as black in a video so they'll think we're holding out on them."

Who on earth said it was, "God mode?" I've never heard any such thing and have no need to speculate or wonder. I can say with certainty that, if it does exist, and is someday available, it will be $998. :HaHa
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

cs.jpg

Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:00 pmcs.jpg
Nice Photoshop job :lol:

Joe
Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4