Inkscape Ear tag Font and Design

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Inkscape Ear tag Font and Design

Post by zayne19 »

Hello,

I am a high school agriculture teacher who recently got a new CNC plasma cutter for class. We want to make an ear tag like I have attached for our program supporters, but I am having a hard time finding the two fonts used in the picture. Also, I do not know how to make the open rectangle to have the words in like on "Proud" and "of the". Does anyone know how to create this so I can have my text inside?
Attachments
IMG-3474.JPG
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape Ear tag Font and Design

Post by mdwalker »

Let us know specs on what plasma table you are using and what software you are using.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

We have an ArcLight 4x4 table. I'm using Inkscape to do my designs.
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Here is how I did it in inkscape.

Since the picture is skewed.
I make shapes to match the dimensions, use the radius tool to round the edges.
Then i use a combination of union and difference.
Make your text, I used stenciled font for all except livestock buyer which i stenciled myself.
EarTag1.JPG
EarTag1.JPG (73.75 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
The rectangle cuts, i used the Bezier tool to make the "C", then stroke to path (1/4"), duplicate, flip and place on the other side then differenced from the plate after positioning the text.
Manual tracing the shape would work but this was quicker.

This is only one quick and dirty way to make this file.
I hope it helps.
Attachments
Ear Tag.svg
(160.29 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
EarTag2.JPG
EarTag2.JPG (71.07 KiB) Viewed 3155 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

I am wanting to change the wording and I can do that on the Tag template. How would I go about cutting the "C's" to go around my own words?
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Start by creating the rectangle the outer size you want (Grey Rectangle)
Make another rectangle and center it inside the outer rectangle to leave the desired border. (Red Rectangle)
Make one more rectangle the width of the gap you want. (Yellow Rectangle)
1.JPG
1.JPG (84.38 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Select the two horizontal rectangles and press ctrl - - (Path then Difference)
2.JPG
2.JPG (81.08 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Select the two rectangles and press ctrl -- (path then difference)
3.JPG
3.JPG (61.58 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
See if that helps.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
TJS

Post by TJS »

Yes. ^^^^ROK
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:34 pm Start by creating the rectangle the outer size you want (Grey Rectangle)
Make another rectangle and center it inside the outer rectangle to leave the desired border. (Red Rectangle)
Make one more rectangle the width of the gap you want. (Yellow Rectangle)
1.JPG
Select the two horizontal rectangles and press ctrl - - (Path then Difference)
2.JPG
Select the two rectangles and press ctrl -- (path then difference)
3.JPG

See if that helps.
Mo - you showed some great information on accomplishing what the OP was after. It's funny, but earlier today the OP sent me a PM asking similar questions and I had not seen this post, so I responded to him early this afternoon here:

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=35845

My advise to the OP is to take a better photo looking straight on at his sign. No reason to have it tilted out in the air like that. Just set it down on a flat contrasting surface and take the photos.

David

PS - Mo - I did just download your file to Inkscape to check it out - very nicely done!!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Zayne19 - I would recommend that you become a Contributing Member (only 20 bucks) so you will have the ability to download Mo's file, as well as others here at the forum. I think this is a real bargain considering the wealth of information contained and offered here.

https://www.plasmaspider.com/memberupgrade.php

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Mo - I tried out your technique and it works great. Nice job!! I broke it down into a step-by-step to make it easier for others to understand and follow.
David
Step 1.jpg
Step 2.jpg
Step 2.5.jpg
Step 3.jpg
Step 3.5.jpg
Step 3.6.jpg
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

Stupid question, but how do you move an object to the top of the Z stack?
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Mouse over the buttons at and it will give a description of their functions.
Attachments
Inkscape.png
Inkscape.png (41 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This may be helpful for understanding exactly how the Union and Difference operations work.

David
Inkscape Boolean operations.jpg
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

This is what it looked like after cutting out my version of the tag. Does anyone have any suggestions? There is a ridiculous amount of slag on the backside of the tag. I think I will have to choose a different font for the majority of the wording as it seems to be too narrow for my machine to cut cleanly. This is done on a HyperTherm 65. It has all new consumables before cutting. The tag is 14"x11" for size reference. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I should do, or should I just plan on not using the font that seems messed up?
IMG-3630.jpg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

zayne19 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:37 am This is what it looked like after cutting out my version of the tag. Does anyone have any suggestions? There is a ridiculous amount of slag on the backside of the tag. I think I will have to choose a different font for the majority of the wording as it seems to be too narrow for my machine to cut cleanly. This is done on a HyperTherm 65. It has all new consumables before cutting. The tag is 14"x11" for size reference. Does anyone have any recommendations of what I should do, or should I just plan on not using the font that seems messed up?
Doesn't look too bad, next one will be better.

For this I would have selected Finecut consumables for the Hypertherm torch and cut it at 45amps using the Hypertherm speed charts for baseline settings. What consumables did you use and what amperage did you cut at?

Slag can likely be dramatically reduced but first we need to find out your answer to above question. Typically speeding up the cut speed and maintaining the proper cut height will prevent excessive slag build up.

Also I am unsure if any kerf compensation was used when you processed the file for cutting but once you have your consumables selected we will choose the appropriate kerf comp.
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

I am still using the consumables that came with the plasma cutter until I can buy new ones. When I upload my file into SheetCam to get my GCode, from what I was taught when it was set up, we have an automated height control and speed control based off the metal we select that we're using. Should I turn this off and enter manually the desired speed and height? I will have to go back into my shop computer with the file to see what amperage it had it on when cutting.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok so lets remove the consumables that came with the plasma cutter and have a look, likely not Finecut, should say on the side of the nozzle.

What are they?

Also what amperage were you cutting with?

I wouldn't turn off the auto settings yet, lets determine these basics above first.
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

Below I have attached two photos. One is the consumable box that came with my cutter. On the sides of the electrode and end, it only has numbers, not a name of the brand, so I'm assuming it's through PowerMax. The other is a picture on my SheetCam where I select the gauge metal used. I ran the ear tag piece above on 65 amps. I tried a hallpass piece a few minutes ago, one on 65 amps and one on 45 amps and the letters looked the same, both melted slightly like the ear tag and still the same amount of slag on the back. Again, I'm new to this so hopefully I can provide the info you're asking for to help me find the correct settings/consumables.
Attachments
IMG-3631.jpg
IMG-3632.jpg
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Since you are cutting 16 Ga using 65 amp nozzles will give you to wide a kerf, and another thing is use the amps for the nozzle/ metal thickness you cut. You want the plasma stream to be narrow for clean cuts. Using a 65 amp nozzle and only 45 amps will not be as marrow as using 45 amps with a 45 amp nozzle. With 16 Ga steel you can get a better cut with a fine cut nozzle and you can also drop the amps slightly with it too. I use a Hypertherm 65 too but for thinner metal a fine cut nozzle and maybe 40 amps. If you can you should do test cuts (6" straight lines) to check the performance of the plasma cutter and your THC unit. Most time you will use 0.160" pierce and 0.060" cut heights, for some thinner metal you can also change to a 0.080" pierce and higher cut height with the fine cut nozzles. This will give you a finer plasma cut, this helps with the starting and ending dots. These are the thing test cutting will get you, also check the dross while testing too. Do make sure you are suppling enough air pressure. put a gauge at the input to the plasma unit and have as least 100 PSI and it does not drop below 80 PSI while cutting.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

Do you have any videos or contact information so I can speak with someone or watch what others are doing? I want to make sure I am setting up my machine correctly, using the correct consumables, and understand better what some of these terms mean. It seems like right now I need to order some Findcut consumables so I can cut my 16 ga metal at a lower amperage. For the time being, can I make clean, smaller, finer cuts using a 65 amp tip cutting at 65 amps, or is that harder to do since it's hotter on thinner metal?
TJS

Post by TJS »

I don't use fine cut consumables, but on thinner material like signs and such I use 45 amp and 45 amp nozzles. Matter of fact I use 45 amps on everything unless my tool menu in sheetcam calls for a higher amperage contingent upon thickness(hypertherm book settings). Also in your drawing make sure the bridges are around .150" wide. Not sure what the screen shot is, but you have no offset for that layer. If you are cutting inside for your letters, then you want inside offset with a lead in no greater than your thinnest width of an object. Example, if you have a horizontal line that is .150" high and 4" long then your lead in should be about .080" with no lead out. If your lead in was over .150" sheetcam would tell you. I move around my lead in's on my plan to where it is less conpicuious as well.
T.J.
zayne19
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by zayne19 »

That's what I mean about a good intro video to watch or someone to speak with. I am so new that I am unsure of what lead-ins and lead-outs are. My bridges are what I used to hold centers of letters in so they don't fall out correct?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Her is a group of videos I made years ago that may help, I am not an expert, and this is an older version on SheetCam you can download them to your system to watch.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
this is a video on how to setup a THC not your brand but the info will help to.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TJS

Post by TJS »

Also search Premier Plasma on Youtube. They are older vids but they may help you.
Cyrious Metal Works has some vids on YT as well.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

zayne19 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:06 pm Do you have any videos or contact information so I can speak with someone or watch what others are doing? I want to make sure I am setting up my machine correctly, using the correct consumables, and understand better what some of these terms mean. It seems like right now I need to order some Findcut consumables so I can cut my 16 ga metal at a lower amperage. For the time being, can I make clean, smaller, finer cuts using a 65 amp tip cutting at 65 amps, or is that harder to do since it's hotter on thinner metal?
PM sent. Check your private messages.

Return to “Inkscape”