Interesting torch shield

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Interesting torch shield

Post by acourtjester »

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Re: Interesting torch shield

Post by adbuch »

Tom - that's quite interesting! When I first saw it, I thought it was probably to help in preventing tip-ups. But now I see it is mainly to contain the sparks and is combined with a laser for alignment. I don't worry about sparks too much, but the laser looks very handy. I usually use a torch pointer for zeroing out my torch to the work zero - if it is critical.

David
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

That is pretty cool, thanks for the vid Tom.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tinspark »

This shield could be a problem for my current setup. I do not have advanced height control, but do have basic height control. If I am not careful, I can catch an occasional tip-up before it crashes into my torch and drags a sheet or worse. But if I am not watching, I can have problems. A shield such as this one would hinder my sight and could cause me problems. Of course for the ever famous $998.00, I could fix that, with Advanced Height control, the torch senses a crash and will stop cutting or moving, which is cool! But with just the basic height control package, the torch can still crash if there is a problem with a sudden and unexpected tip-up. As it stands, it really is not that big of a problem for me, unless if I were to install a "shower curtain" around my torch, similar to this one, and without the ever famous, and (thankfully) unchanged price of $998 :)
I do love basic height control, especially since my machine did not have height control for almost a year. And that was not any fun!!
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:40 pm This shield could be a problem for my current setup. I do not have advanced height control, but do have basic height control. If I am not careful, I can catch an occasional tip-up before it crashes into my torch and drags a sheet or worse. But if I am not watching, I can have problems. A shield such as this one would hinder my sight and could cause me problems. Of course for the ever famous $998.00, I could fix that, with Advanced Height control, the torch senses a crash and will stop cutting or moving, which is cool! But with just the basic height control package, the torch can still crash if there is a problem with a sudden and unexpected tip-up. As it stands, it really is not that big of a problem for me, unless if I were to install a "shower curtain" around my torch, similar to this one, and without the ever famous, and (thankfully) unchanged price of $998 :)
I do love basic height control, especially since my machine did not have height control for almost a year. And that was not any fun!!
Doug - perhaps consider one of those magnetic breakaway torch mounts like the ones that Robert sells. The cost is only $275, much less than the upgrade you referred to.

https://www.490creations.com/products/s ... orch-mount

Or if you are ambitious, I think Tom or one of the other members has a design for a 3D printed magnetic torch mount that you could 3D print and assemble. The advanced height control also includes ohmic sensing, which I like a lot for thinner sheet that may not be perfectly flat. I think with your basic height control you still have the option to "stall on material to zero". If you mainly cut thicker materials, then this may not be so critical.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Doug - there is a Snap N Cut magnetic torch holder for Plasmacam for sale right now in the Classified section.
Just in case you have any interest and have not seen it.

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic. ... 59#p229359

David

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”