Inscape 1.2 Path==> Combine changes size of object

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Inscape 1.2 Path==> Combine changes size of object

Post by TJS »

I have had this issue I think since I have switched to 1.2 (resides on my laptop). If I have an object; let's say a circle with a square in the center and want to do a combine, the x and y dimensions change a few thousands. Not a lot but right now I don't even do a combine because it messes the size up. I just do a group and I am able to cut. If I then build the same circle and square on my table computer (older version of inkscape) and perform a Path Combine,it does not change the size of the object.

HOWEVER, If I build with 1.2(on my laptop) then put the file on my jump drive and load it to my table PC and then open up the older version of inkscape on my table PC and do a combine it will change the size by a few thous.

I am wondering somewhere if there is a preference setting that is causing this.
Thanks
T.J.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inscape 1.2 Path==> Combine changes size of object

Post by adbuch »

TJ - I think if you set your stroke width first, and then set the exact dimensions for your circle and square - the process or "Path, Combine" should not affect the dimensions. If you change your stroke width after the fact, or the circle and square did not both have the same stroke width - then that might be the cause of the problem. I'm not sure why it is different on your older version. For a situation like you describe with the circle and square, I typically difference them (not combine) so I can see what the finished part will look like with fill color added.

David
fill color.jpg
TJS

Re: Inscape 1.2 Path==> Combine changes size of object

Post by TJS »

I am not touching the stroke width at all during this process. It is set at .003 and I use outline view. I am going to play around some more. I have to look at the preferences.
Thanks David.

Return to “Inkscape”