Lightning strike part 3. Now with video.

For general topics and questions that do not fit into any of the other categories or forums.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Lightning strike part 3. Now with video.

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Someone please tell me how to, or even if, I can edit the topic titles so I dont have to keep making new topics. I tried all the edit buttons I could find, but that don't mean much.

After attempting the straight line tests suggested by Weldguy, SRdesign, and tcaudle in the previous topic, I decided to try to video each screen and torch movements. I will describe the length of the video and what it is of before each youtube link.

To start, here is an 8 second video of the torch actions.

I will ad more as they upload. I also have some other info to share about the CandCNC program as well as the utility hub and how it affects the plasma screen.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Lightning strike part 3. Now with video.

Post by Deezl Smoke »

As the next one uploads, more on the Cand CNC program. Normally the plasma head will stay on default 85 amp setting until a code is started in the CandCNC program. Then the plasma screen will adjust according to code. Now, when the CandCNC program is not active, the plasma screen is default 85, but as soon as the program is activated, the screen goes to 45 amp. Same with the utility hub. As soon as I double click on the hub, the plasma screen goes to 45 amp even with no code loaded in the CandCnc. Also it says license not valid or something like that. However this came with the table and has always been licensed to me. So maybe the surge has corrupted my programs too?
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

9 seconds of the plasma screen. Even though the torch has quit cutting, the screen shows on which coincides with CandCNC program, which says torch is still on.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Here's 8 seconds of the prgram screen. As SRdesign mentions to watch the voltage box, it shows none.
However the torch stays on and a "fault" light appears.
Messages say nothing more than machine powered on.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Is the hub utility power source plugged into one of those power strips. Sounds like you are losing power to the hub utility intermittently. I had a similar issue. The 2 red lites on the hub utility would drop out and the screen on the hypertherm would default to whatever amp i the dial was set to. I then unplugged the hub utility and cycled the power. I found out my power strip was not making contact with the 115v prongs. Since then, I threw the power strip out and got a real 4 wall plug wired. Sometimes it does have to be reset though.
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by harrymorley »

I had that EXACT same problem ..Now before starting , i clean the surface with 409 ...Ii appears the ohmic sensing is affected by the dirty surface. Since I started doing the cleaning , I havent had the problem . Took a long time to figure this out . I also " spritz " the surface with compressed air as the torch is cutting .
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Ok, so with some of the tests given here, and with Arclight tech support, we've narrowed it down to the Hypertherm head. At least as far as the DTHC part goes. Still not sure why the hypertherm goes to 45 amp just by double clicking the candcnc prgram with no job or code loaded. But waiting to hear from Hypertherm about the parts I may need. I'll update again as soon as I hear more.
TJS

Post by TJS »

Just watched the VId again. The DTHC is saying "my voltage is too low" raise the head to increase the gap to get the prescribed voltage. In the back of the PWM. Take the cover off and what is the ratio jumper set to.

Also try with the DTHC off.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

It will cut ok with dthc off, on manual.
I don't know that my pwm box has a cover to remove. I'll have to look at that. But I bought it from Arclight whom has my serial numbers on file etc. I believe it's supposed to be 50:1?
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Well, after contacting Hypertherm's tech support with the help of Arclight's tech support, we think we have it figured. The power board and the divider card are bad. Estimated $1600 for parts.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

TJS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:58 am Just watched the VId again. The DTHC is saying "my voltage is too low" raise the head to increase the gap to get the prescribed voltage. In the back of the PWM. Take the cover off and what is the ratio jumper set to.

Also try with the DTHC off.
Are pwm, divider card, and cpc port the same thing, just different brands and setups?
TJS

Post by TJS »

Not sure on nomenclature. However, take some pics of your PWM, and other external items. This is built by CandCNC. Did you visually see the voltage jumper ratio in the PWM. Also where is your work lead connected to. I made a clamp set up where I clamp it to the material I am cutting. I am trying to follow what new parts did you get after the lightning strike. If it was a new PWM I am pretty sure the jumpers are not set to hypertherm's. I had the same issue when I got my system and did not know I had to move the jumper. Once I did that everything was fixed. Not saying that is your problem but you need to be 100% sure the jumper setting is correct before more parts replacement.
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Ok, figured out that jumper you mention. It is set on 50:1. Here's a few pics. 2 of what I refer to as the PWM, and 1 of the "CPC port"?
20231011_091500_resized.jpg
20231011_091240_resized.jpg
20231011_091230_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

TJS

Post by TJS »

The jumper looks right. Where is the CAT 5 to the DCP-01. Is it just not hooked up.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

TJS wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:40 am The jumper looks right. Where is the CAT 5 to the DCP-01. Is it just not hooked up.
Probably doesn't need the current probe.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
TJS

Post by TJS »

How does it work without a current probe ?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

The current probe takes the place of the arcok. If your cutter has arcok or arc transfer contacts then you don't need it.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Deezl Smoke
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Deezl Smoke »

Never had a cable to that port.

Just got a message my parts are in, so soon as I can pick them up, the fun begins. Will there be more issues as mentioned earlier that such a power spike may cause unseen and unpredictable issues...........
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

I use an battery backup UPS to help protect my computer and controller from AC power issues and when I am done using the machine for the day I turn the power off completely at the battery backup to prevent any overnight issues if there is a lightning storm or something. Can just unplug everything from the wall also but I like the battery backup.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutters General Forum”