Electrodes burning too fast

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
nikolakuzzz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Electrodes burning too fast

Post by nikolakuzzz »

Hello guys, I have an issue with my electrodes burning way to fast, getting 80-100 pierces per electrode on a 50 amp cutting. In the picture i posted you can see a worn electrode I've used 1 year ago(right), vs a worn electrode I've used these days(left). As you can see the color on the new electrode is way different, like it's overheating or something. In the meanwhile I've changed torches, from handheld to pen style. Could that be the issue?
20231107_190602.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Electrodes burning too fast

Post by weldguy »

That will be contamination in your air supply causing that. You can see the moisture swirling around the electrode and staining it as it burns up and overheats the electrode. Drain your compressor on a regular basis, use good air filtration and drying equipment, and you should see that start to get better over time with clean dry air. It will take some time though since your lines and torch lead will be contaminated.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Electrodes burning too fast

Post by acourtjester »

I would look at the air supply, you may have oil in the air from the compressor. you can put a clear water/oil separator in the air line and check it after running air through it.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plasma Consumables”