4 Star Elite Contributing Member

** NEW** C&CNC Home Shop Controller Bundle

Post by tcaudle »

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ** NEW** C&CNC Home Shop Controller Bundle

Post by acourtjester »

Nice start for someone doing a build, Slam dunk electronics package. Is it LinuxCNC based?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Yes, its based on LInuxCNC. CommandCNC is an extension of LINUXCNC and has custom optimized drivers for our direct Ethernet BoB amd our DTHC 5 It also works well for a drop-in upgrade for some of the "hobby" grade systems with import electronics .
There are a lot of things Windows is good at (give me some time and I'll think of one..) but running a CNC machine is not one of them.
A lot of people don't realize you can continue to use Windows for your drawing and CAM work and use the Linux side for optimized motion control in real time. Its easy to move files back and forth and a lot of apps will run on either platform.

I know you switched to Linuxcnc some time ago and you get to take advantage of the better trajectory planner (motion planner) and the ability to define the level of toolpath tracking (accuracy) you want. Coupled with some features we pioneered like the dual homing and the velocity anti dive (VAD), it makes for a much better plasma process than we used to get with MACH.

The nice thing about the HS-45 is it does not scrimp on features. It uses the exact same CommandCNC versions as our bigger , commercial systems and lets you use the same software and files as well.

As you know, Linuxcnc is a good general purpose CNC control program and works equally well on Mills, Routers,Plasma and just about anything with multiple axis that needs to move from g-code. I just rebuilt an older ACER vertical Mill with a Centroid controller. Its running on CommandCNC. a G5XL and some DC servos. We have a Router version that uses a VFD and Spindle for the Z and supports a tool length touch- off to make for a fast, semi-auto tool change. I wrote tool change POSTs for SheetCAM and Vectric Products. For now its just one defined tool change position so you can swap it by hand BUT not too hard to expand that in the future to multiple positions and a fully auto pneumatic tool changer spindle.

KEEP ON CUT'N
TC
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

Hi Tom. In layman’s terms can you explain the difference in this system and the bladerunner G5?
I’d like to upgrade the electronics on the plasma table that we use at work but would like to know the differences between the two systems before pitching it to my boss.
Thank you and happy new year
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

1. The main power supply is not the LINEAR bulk type supply on the G5 that can take a massive over load and for an extended time. Its a simple switcher that has output protection for running motors and it won't handle overloads .
2. The G5 has a "Smart" power system that is controlled by a micro processor and has readouts of the volts . amps and temp in the control program. It has individual driver overload with a code flash to show which one faulted. It got over current, over temp and over voltage (line surge) shutdown, It has an active DC load discharge circuit.
3. Because of the smaller power supply and less auto shutdown features the HS series is rated for Hone shop ot light commercial (non-production cutting ) The warranty is shorter.
4. On the HS, All of the logic interface and the DTHC are the same and the software used is the same and it comes with the same programs and CONFIGS that the G5 does
5. The motor connectors on the G5 series are the round locking type or (on the XL) a flat MOLEX type. The HS is a simple 4 wide 5.08 but we are using the newer type that has screw retainers on the sides to prevent accidental disconnects.

As a Power Design Engineer I tend to over design things and run components at levels below their max ratings

I would look at the usage of the machine and which level of controller will best fit your long term usage. As with all of our products, we will have a full line of replacement cards and modules and the HS is design to be able to quickly open and test and replace the modules. Nothong is soldered or hard to unfasten and swap out.

YOu can ca;ll Tech Support and they can help you to make sure its going to work for you or you can contact use via email or a contact form on the website. Support Forum also is monitored and answered
SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

Thank you sir. I have the G5 on my table at home and it is doing a great job so far.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85

Return to “CandCNC Forum”